Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CareCredit MasterCard Upgrade

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

CareCredit MasterCard Upgrade

I logged into the CareCredit site to clear the message that was causing an update failure on my USAA dashboard, and I was greeted with this:

CareCreditMC.png 

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  Ironically just a few years ago this would have been reason to celebrate, but these days not so much.

If it weren't for how Synchrony reports an upgrade it would be a no-brainer but I'm just not sure it's worth the 'ding'.  I made a small purchase at Rite-Aid a few months ago to keep the account alive, but while there I found out the location is changing to Walgreens (dual-signage right now) so it's questionable how much longer I'll be able to continue using the card there if I keep it as a PLCC (this is assuming the upgrade is optional).

I keep hanging on to the account in case I have an exceptional dental need (or decide to try Lasik) but otherwise it's not that useful.  As a PLCC It's perpetually on the chopping block and while I think I recall seeing reports of an occasional spend promo on the MasterCard version overall the product is rather underwhelming.

Anyway, TL;DR for anybody interested Synchrony is still occasionally offering upgrades on CareCredit.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CareCredit MasterCard Upgrade

Ya if I got that offer and wasnt counted as a new account I would be all over it, but if offered it and was a new account I would have to pause and think about it.. Turning it down or letting it simmer?

Message 2 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Ya if I got that offer and wasnt counted as a new account I would be all over it, but if offered it and was a new account I would have to pause and think about it.. Turning it down or lietting it simmer?

For the moment letting it simmer... I figure there's no reason to make a hasty decision.  Smiley Indifferent

Without this I'll be 2/24 in January, so if I were to go for it I'd have room for one more 'addition' still assuming a January goal... any more and it'll be another eight months tacked on to my 5/24 counter.  Smiley Frustrated

To be fair, there's no 5/24 card(s) currently on the radar, but I like to at least pretend I'm keeping the option open.  Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 28
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Ya if I got that offer and wasnt counted as a new account I would be all over it, but if offered it and was a new account I would have to pause and think about it.. Turning it down or lietting it simmer?

For the moment letting it simmer... I figure there's no reason to make a hasty decision.  Smiley Indifferent

Without this I'll be 2/24 in January, so if I were to go for it I'd have room for one more 'addition' still assuming a January goal... any more and it'll be another eight months tacked on to my 5/24 counter.  Smiley Frustrated

To be fair, there's no 5/24 card(s) currently on the radar, but I like to at least pretend I'm keeping the option open.  Smiley Tongue

2/24 in January wow!  I could only imagine as you know lol..  I had to login to my card to see if it was offered esp since the huge charge i put on and paid off, but nope.. Guessing you got to have been with them so long and other various scenarios (score sure is one of them as well) to be offered it.. Not sure I would take it or not as no huge value and plenty of stores I can use a PLCC if I needed to around here other then the big ticket items such as dental or cosmetic type of stuff etc.

Message 4 of 28
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Mine was upgraded automatically but I didn't mind the ding because forget Chase and their 5/24. I like my bonuses too much. The good thing about it is that for the first full year they are doubling my rewards. 4x points on medical providers, groceries, drugstores, pet stores, and 2x points on everything else.

Message 5 of 28
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Interesting. I could easily use this for dental work but I've got enough synchrony accounts right now. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Grats on the offer UB. This would be a prayer for most who crave the CareCredit line but as you and I have often commented, Synchrony and their MC or Visa usually come way to late to want to take the diveSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the offer; if you decide to take it, let us know how it works out. I'm curious as to what form the rewards take.

I do have a Care Credit card - in fact, it's currently got my biggest credit line - and it's come in useful for various health-related purchases (mainly dental and veterinary). It's got its limitations, though, notably the high APR; also it can't be used to pay for things like lab tests, which is an annoyance because I have a bill for a test coming due (I may end up applying it to one of my existing rewards cards anyway). I'm looking to see if Sync offers an upgrade on my Walmart store card now that it's a year old, though I'm not counting on it; in any case, I'm more interested in the Paypal 2% MC anyway, though it'll be at least next month before I'm ready to apply for that.

Message 8 of 28
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Nice UB !! I understand your dilemma, and on a side note, 2/24 in January?? My DREAM!!! LOL!! As it looks now, I won't be 5/24 till 10/2020, or somewhere around there. Smiley Happy
Tags (1)
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the offer. I got one when they first started offering them. I WAS at the stage where I was like 'Woo Hoo!' but it definitely was a new account. There are occasional spend offers but the rewards (which can be taken as a statement credit, I don't remember if there are limitations on amounts) are S L O W to post. I think you GET the rewards credit okay, IIRC it's getting the statement credit to post that is a nightmare. Trying to zero out an account and not have it report and not end up with a credit and not end up owing interest was dicey. Definitely SD for me. 

I got my original CC when I did get lasik. Best. Decision. Ever. YMMV, but I am so happy I did it, especially when I buy a pair of sunglasses off the rack. Smiley Wink (It also came in handy when I had a dog with health issues.)

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.