Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carecredit... Apply or no??

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Carecredit... Apply or no??

@barbaralee wrote:

Both my husband and I just applied for Care Credit in January... and yes, it was for cosmetic surgery... they pulled Equifax, both of our scores are in the mid 600s. I have a collection (that just refuses to drop off... it's from '05 and it's holding my score down Smiley Sad), he has no baddies, and both of us have excellent payment history.

Anyway, I was approved for 6000, he for 8700. When it asked for an amount I put in some ridiculous number, and they countered. They do give you an option to ask for a CLI almost immediately. While doing research for my surgery I read that if the dr. calls in and asks for the CLI you're pretty much guaranteed it. Fortunately, I didn't have to do that... I doubt I would have anyway, I find the idea of it to be embarrassing.

also i was surprised last week when a csr told me that technically you can request cli at 90 day intervals. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also denied within a matter of less then one second last week with a score of 657. I called for a recon and they said they cant even look at your report to see why it might have been denied, they kind of arent even willing to talk about anything when you call. I really think they have tightened up quite a bit, it seems like they used to approve almost everybody. Theres even a guy on here who was turned down in dec with scores in the high 700s. So anyone wanting to apply, you should probably call them up and ask what your chances are of being approved first. 
Message 22 of 28
rivernh
Contributor

I used care credit for 3 tooth crowns (or is it teeth crowns? LOL)  a couple of years ago because my dentist wouldn't do it unless I paid upfront what the insurance didn't cover.  My credit wasn't great, but I was approved at $1000 to cover the difference, with no hassle. I don't know what my numbers were at that time, and times have definately changed.

I paid it off in a year interest free, and now even though its closed its a nice trade line on my report.

Oh, and you can use it for veternairy care as well...

I am not sure if smaller amounts are approved more easily.

Message 23 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@wemmington wrote:

I checked whogavemecredit.com and looks like they pull EQ.

Unfortunately that is not always accurate information, me and my friend applied for the same card and his was on EQ and mine was on EX this is because he is in Indiana and I am California. Where you live is a huge factor as to WHICH report they pull. True that some ony pull from specific CRA but the fact is that is not ALWAYS the case and often dependant on where you live.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 24 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

wow denied with 677... im so not applying!

I dont have a number, sorry... anyone got one? 

I don't want to be responsible for you getting denied but just consider that when I applied, it was 1.5 years after a Ch. 7 and my score was 580, just something to consider but then again the financial market wasn't in the toilet like right now either.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

About Care Credit!!!!!

Please remember to read all the fine print, and make sure you can pay or not forget (doh!) the entire balance by the time the promotional 0% runs out.  

Why? because they back charge you interest on the whole amount for the whole period of time including the promotional first XX months (where it was 0%).

Message 26 of 28
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

About Care Credit!!!!!

Please remember to read all the fine print, and make sure you can pay or not forget (doh!) the entire balance by the time the promotional 0% runs out.  

Why? because they back charge you interest on the whole amount for the whole period of time including the promotional first XX months (where it was 0%).

yeppers and this not entirely uncommon with such promos, billmelater, etc. pay well before the promo end to avert mishap.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 27 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

About Care Credit!!!!!

Oh yeah, that's right, not only do you pay the much much higher interest, they hit you with ALL of the deferred finance charges as well, so depending on the balance, it can be a very harsh hit. Good call.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.