Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carecredit or another Credit card

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Carecredit or another Credit card

I noticed that the standard APR is about 26%.

The promos gets you 0% for 12 or 15 months. Am i better off getting lets say a Citi TY preferred that gives me rewards and 18 month at 0% (got the promo by mail)

Have to put about $5K for medical expenses on this card.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Re: Carecredit or another Credit card

0% APR for 12 - 15 months is good (especially if 15 months), also pay attention to the transfer fees, they may range from 1% - 3%, ofcourse the lower the better. Rewards is always better since you want a card that you will keep around possibly after you're done paying it off. Also keep in mind that you don't want to max the card out with a balance transfer, so in your case you may want to calculate if it's possible for you to get at least a 10K limit from the Citi group. Good luck.

Message 2 of 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

You can finance up to 18 months depending on provider at zero %. They also offer up to 48 month financing at 14.9% but that carries no zero % promotion. At CareCredit.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 14
CS800
Super Contributor

I think we're going to bite the bullet and try the CITI TYP.  At least, we could use this card everywhere also.

Message 4 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

It's worth noting that CareCredit uses deferred interest -- if the balance is not paid in full during the promotional period, then the APRs are applied retroactively.

This is different than a CC promotion with a 0% purchase rate for X months.

http://www.carecredit.com/cardholder/financing_options.html

Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I noticed that the standard APR is about 26%.

The promos gets you 0% for 12 or 15 months. Am i better off getting lets say a Citi TY preferred that gives me rewards and 18 month at 0% (got the promo by mail)

Have to put about $5K for medical expenses on this card.

Any feedback much appreciated.

You have to ask the specific doctor what 0% they offer, it ranges from 6-24 months or 36/48 at a fixed rate I believe but recently the emergency vet we went to ONLY offered 6 months regardless of dollar amount... they said it was extrememly expensive for them to give the 0%.

Message 6 of 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I think we're going to bite the bullet and try the CITI TYP.  At least, we could use this card everywhere also.

Good choice and good luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 14
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

It's worth noting that CareCredit uses deferred interest -- if the balance is not paid in full during the promotional period, then the APRs are applied retroactively.

If the balance isn't fully paid off by the 18 mos, I'm thinking you can bal trasfer to another 0% card, is that right?
FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

If the balance isn't fully paid off by the 18 mos, I'm thinking you can bal trasfer to another 0% card, is that right?

yes just have to have complete balance paid before the end of the 0%

Message 9 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

Deferred interest is retroactive -- it doesn't just start applying after X months.  You might be able to BT, but you'd owe back interest from the purchase date.

The CareCredit link says this specifically.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.