Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying a balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carrying a balance

Good evening to all. Question? Other than paying interest fee. Is there wrong with carrying a balance on credit cards? Is it viewed in the eyes in the banks as a bad thing? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Carrying a balance

@Anonymous wrote:

Good evening to all. Question? Other than paying interest fee. Is there wrong with carrying a balance on credit cards? Is it viewed in the eyes in the banks as a bad thing? Thanks in advance.

It can be a bad thing if the balance is high compared to your limit and you only make minimum payments.  generally though if the balance is reasonable and you make decent payments each month, then there isnt anything horrible if you carry a balance.

Message 2 of 31
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Keep your balance between 1-9% of the CL and you are good to go. 

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks. I don't plan on using more 20% at the most. Maybe 30% but even then bring it under 20% before repoerted to the bureas Definitely no not to max out.

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also agree 1-9% is best 20-30% would be only for big purchases not all the time

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you know when your creditor reports to the CRA's.  Some report before your payment due date.  If that happens and you are at 35%, you will take a hit. 

When I was applying for a mortgage I called all my creditors to see when they reported.  I would pay them off a day or two before and left 50 on one.  It relfected on my credit report perfectly. 

Message 6 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Make sure you know when your creditor reports to the CRA's.  Some report before your payment due date.  If that happens and you are at 35%, you will take a hit

When I was applying for a mortgage I called all my creditors to see when they reported.  I would pay them off a day or two before and left 50 on one.  It relfected on my credit report perfectly. 

How much of a hit, exactly?

Yes, when applying for a mortgage one must groom the accounts closely. Most months, however, we aren't applying for a mortgage, so letting the balances report isn't a bad thing.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 31
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^May I ask why you're going around asking everyone for an *exact* amount of points somebody's scores would take for high UTIL? Because honestly nobody can know the exact amount of points one's file would lose.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
^May I ask why you're going around asking everyone for an *exact* amount of points somebody's scores would take for high UTIL? Because honestly nobody can know the exact amount of points one's file would lose.

Good question. How many points is "a hit" ? 4? 10? 100? It's a loaded word that can be interpreted many different ways, when the reality of the impact of crossing 10% or 50% on a card is not a huge amount of points.

If we are giving information out to others, especially to those asking a question because they don't know the frame of reference, have not experienced it, it is important that information should be useful, not vague. And not scary either, because that is inappropriate. And the most common reply is to use scare words, not facts.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 31
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Make sure you understand how interest is calculated and how the grace period (which you loose for.

the duration of carrying a balance) works. The effective cost of carrying an interest bearing balance

on a daily driver card is more than the stated interest rate would imply.

Your payment behavior is tracked by your issuers and they use the information to categorize you as

a customer. The categories are broadly referred to as Transactor and Revolver. It is generally assumed

that  issuers treat transactors (who don't typically carry balances) somewhat better than they do otherwise

equivalent revolver customers. Not necessarily "wrong" to be a revolver but it does perhaps have small

downsides beyond interest paid. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.