tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Carrying a balance

@NRB525 wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:
^May I ask why you're going around asking everyone for an *exact* amount of points somebody's scores would take for high UTIL? Because honestly nobody can know the exact amount of points one's file would lose.

Good question. How many points is "a hit" ? 4? 10? 100? It's a loaded word that can be interpreted many different ways, when the reality of the impact of crossing 10% or 50% on a card is not a huge amount of points.

If we are giving information out to others, especially to those asking a question because they don't know the frame of reference, have not experienced it, it is important that information should be useful, not vague. And not scary either, because that is inappropriate. And the most common reply is to use scare words, not facts.

NRB - do you have another word in mind?  

Since you know that no one can give an actual number, are you recommending that we all just ignore questions such as this because we can't supply exact numbers as "facts"?  

The fact is increased utility is going to cause FICOs to decline - aka "take a hit" - 90%+ of the time.  

And the fact is that no one can provide a specific answer - it will always be vague - just like the "not a huge amount" response you gave is vague and not a fact.

Of course I do not recommend ignoring the question. Although, if you go back and read OP's original question, it was related to how the specific bank where the balance is being carried, where interest was being paid, would view the cardholder. Generally, the bank would be very happy with this customer because they are paying interest, as long as they continue to pay. There is first a tendency among respondents to gravitate back to the basics they want to write about: Don't carry a balance because the utilization will hurt your score. This is applied in many reponses where the trigger word Utilization turned up even in the shadow of the original question Smiley Happy

Second, there are real reasons someone might want to carry a balance. There could be a 0% purchase APR, and a large expense is coming up such as dental work or new tires, costs I've paid recently on such cards. In that case, it's good inexpensive financing, and in some cases, earned rewards for using specific cards like the AK Airlines or EDP that I have on 0% APR. In other cases, low or 0% APR BT offers are available, saving interest cost with low cost financing.

But the general intent of many, not all but many, is to react as if carrying a balance is a very bad thing. With the need to justify the thinking, "the hit to the FICO score" becomes a common, generalized reply with no reference points.

To get to your question, the better response would be: "Carrying a balance should be done if it benefits you financially, or you decide you have to do it, but you should be aware you can lose some FICO points when your utilization goes up. It may be a few points, it may be more, but those points will come back once you pay down the utilization, and realize the benefits of what hopefully is low cost financing." That is what I hope comes across as a Balanced Answer, not a Judging Answer.

Credit is there for a purpose: To allow people to borrow now to buy things that they need (or want) on their promise to pay it back in the future. Getting a good credit file allows you to borrow. There's not many other reasons to strive for a really high FICO score other than borrowing, since your score is not exactly public knowledge, and FICO doesn't send you a bonus check when you get to 700 or 800.

Cheers!

The reason for its existence is to make money for banks. Carrying balances enhances banks making money, but it's also the way many people fall into a death spiral from which they never recover. The reason banks have zero percent promotions is that (a) they often get big fees despite the lack of interest, and (b) statistics show that people who carry those promotional balances often wind up being profitable interest-payers lately.

So I think one should never carry a balance unless there's no way to avoid it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 21 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

The reason for its existence is to make money for banks. Carrying balances enhances banks making money, but it's also the way many people fall into a death spiral from which they never recover. The reason banks have zero percent promotions is that (a) they often get big fees despite the lack of interest, and (b) statistics show that people who carry those promotional balances often wind up being profitable interest-payers lately.

So I think one should never carry a balance unless there's no way to avoid it.

That's a perfectly fine outlook. Sometimes there are costs that one cannot manage to pay in full, however, so there are times it is unavoidable. And, though some people get in difficulties with their debt, the "death spiral" is...  Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 31
core
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
That's a perfectly fine outlook. Sometimes there are costs that one cannot manage to pay in full, however, so there are times it is unavoidable.

Well there is one way to avoid it:  Don't make the charges in the first place. 

Message 23 of 31
myjourney
Super Contributor

Need I say more?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 24 of 31
Aahz
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:
^May I ask why you're going around asking everyone for an *exact* amount of points somebody's scores would take for high UTIL? Because honestly nobody can know the exact amount of points one's file would lose.

Good question. How many points is "a hit" ? 4? 10? 100? It's a loaded word that can be interpreted many different ways, when the reality of the impact of crossing 10% or 50% on a card is not a huge amount of points.

If we are giving information out to others, especially to those asking a question because they don't know the frame of reference, have not experienced it, it is important that information should be useful, not vague. And not scary either, because that is inappropriate. And the most common reply is to use scare words, not facts.

NRB - do you have another word in mind?  

Since you know that no one can give an actual number, are you recommending that we all just ignore questions such as this because we can't supply exact numbers as "facts"?  

The fact is increased utility is going to cause FICOs to decline - aka "take a hit" - 90%+ of the time.  

And the fact is that no one can provide a specific answer - it will always be vague - just like the "not a huge amount" response you gave is vague and not a fact.

Of course I do not recommend ignoring the question. Although, if you go back and read OP's original question, {SNIP}

The OP's question is irrelevant to our discussion.  You chose to ignore it in your first several responses to this thread, so it's not relevant now.

Second, there are real reasons someone might want to carry a balance. {SNIP}

Abother red herring.  This discussion (quoed entirely above) isn't about carrying a balance.  It's about how you think people should answer questions.  But, since we're here now - my scores have ranged from 608 to 835 over the last decade and at no time have I ever had less than 5% utility report, and usually it's in the 10%-25% range, so I, personally, am very aware of the benefits of carrying a balance.

To get to your question, the better response would be: "Carrying a balance should be done if it benefits you financially, or you decide you have to do it, but you should be aware you can lose some FICO points when your utilization goes up. It may be a few points, it may be more, but those points will come back once you pay down the utilization, and realize the benefits of what hopefully is low cost financing." That is what I hope comes across as a Balanced Answer, not a Judging Answer.

Then why didn't you post THAT in response to the OP's question instead of picking nits over another responder's word choice?

{SNIP}

And you never really answered my question.  What word or phrase would you prefer to "taking a hit"?  You call it scary and vague.  I strive to be neither, so am interested in a your recommendations for a concise, specific, non-scary way to state factually that a specific action will result in a lowered FICO score.  

I am honestly hoping for an answer to that question.

Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, as you can see, there are some widely divergent points on this issue. From a FICO scoring point, I think everybody is in agreement that there will be some impact on your scores, although it is hard to say what it will be. The impact will be dependent on how much your utilization increases, what baddies and inqs you have, and the thickness of your file. However, the will arise because your utilization increases. With utilization, it is important to remember that it has no memory; as you pay the balance back down, the points will come back. NRB is correct in that you could carry a big balance and only have it be 5 points of impact. However, it could also be a much larger impact if you have a limited file and push the utilization to the limit.

The other thing to remember is that a score is fundamentally an abstract thing. If you aren't apping for anything, it really has no meaning. So, if you take a 100 point hit, but aren't apping for anything before that 100 point hit disappears, does the hit really matter? It didn't cost you anything. Just make sure that you can pay it off when the time comes. 

Message 26 of 31
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, if you take a 100 point hit, but aren't apping for anything before that 100 point hit disappears, does the hit really matter? It didn't cost you anything.

It sure can cost you dearly if your insurance company does their A/R soft pull during that time.  Now you are stuck paying higher premiums for possibly the entire year.  I have had my home insurance premiums go up by as much as 25% after an app spree when the insurance company just happened to nail me on it due to timing.  That was just from a bunch of new INQs and accounts.  Have never tried maxing out cards to see what would happen.

Message 27 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, if you take a 100 point hit, but aren't apping for anything before that 100 point hit disappears, does the hit really matter? It didn't cost you anything.

It sure can cost you dearly if your insurance company does their A/R soft pull during that time.  Now you are stuck paying higher premiums for possibly the entire year.  I have had my home insurance premiums go up by as much as 25% after an app spree when the insurance company just happened to nail me on it due to timing.  That was just from a bunch of new INQs and accounts.  Have never tried maxing out cards to see what would happen.

A good point not often mentioned.  ( I live in a state that bans credit based insurance scores so don't think about it!)   Is the insurance score as utilization sensitive as standard FICO?

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A good point not often mentioned.  ( I live in a state that bans credit based insurance scores so don't think about it!)   Is the insurance score as utilization sensitive as standard FICO?

I'd never heard of this. I assume it's not the case in CA. I tried to research before asking, but was sent to link after link. Anyone have easy info that says where this does and doesn't apply? Thanks for the point of education. 

Message 29 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd never heard of this. I assume it's not the case in CA. I tried to research before asking, but was sent to link after link. Anyone have easy info that says where this does and doesn't apply? Thanks for the point of education. 

From:  https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-your-credit-score-doesnt-affect-your-insurance-rate

Many U.S. car insurance companies use credit-based insurance scores to help determine risk. (Unless you live in Massachusetts, Hawaii, or California, where the practice has been banned.)

So CA is fine!

ETA: This is for auto.   For home:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2014/08/14/337527.htm says:  

Three states prohibit insurers from using credit to calculate homeowner’s insurance premiums: California, Massachusetts and Maryland.

although I saw other links saying just MD and HI

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.