Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying an balance with Amex?

tag
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Carrying an balance with Amex?

It is bad to carry a balance with amex? I always pay on time and in full, but this month I going to carry a balance until february to take advantage of my 0% APR

Ames EveryDay Card: $5,300

Discover Chrome: $500

BBPR VISA: $300

TCL: 6,100 UTI: 5%

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Carrying an balance with Amex?

@Isacking97 wrote:

It is bad to carry a balance with amex? I always pay on time and in full, but this month I going to carry a balance until february to take advantage of my 0% APR

Not a big deal.  Don't sweat it.  The expectation with a 0% offer is that one will carry a balance, otherwise they wouldn't seek out and/or be offered a 0% offer.

Most creditors like Amex of course prefer PIF as it represents less customer risk, but if your history is typically PIF and you carry a balance for several cycles it is never the end of the world, even without a 0% offer.

Any balance in the 1%-9% range of the credit limit is just fine as well, arguably just about as good as a zero balance.  The next threshold at 10%-29% is still considered "good" as long as you don't sit there forever.  Once you get to 30%+ I would strongly recommend getting it below that amount ASAP, certainly within a couple of cycles. 

You are fine, though.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to carry 3k on my ED for a few months due to a sudden unexpected medical issue. Amex just gave me a new 10k business card, regardless Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's 0%, I say take advantage of it. They offer it so you can use it. Unless you have it maxed (or near maxed) for several months only paying the minimum then you will be fine.

I have two AmEx cards with balances since they have 0% APR. One with 29.1% of the card being utilized and the other with 53.1%. Be responsible and all will be good! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The whole "Amex hates balances" thing is just something that's been repeated enough that it becomes gospel. They wouldn't offer revolving credit products if they didn't expect some users to carry a balance.

I don't suggest running up to the max and paying minimums, but carrying a balance and making healthy payments is no more dangerous with Amex than with any other creditor.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.