Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Advance Application Question

tag
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Cash Advance Application Question

Anybody know why most CC applications ask you, "how many times in the past 6 months have you taken a cash advance from any of your credit cards?" Is taking a cash advance seen as a negative factor in the application process? I believe I inquired about this before, but never received a clear answer. 

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash Advance Application Question

I think a cash advance is like a red flag, i have only seen it on a Barclays application. As for the reason why its bad...im not sure.

Personally the fees are too high for me to do it, and you dont get any rewards it says in the fine print usually.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 8
b_diddy
Established Contributor

Frequent cash advances are a sure sign of t-r-o-u-b-l-e.  My sense they are mostly intended for emergencies, like when you're traveling and get your cash ripped off.   It is a very expensive way to borrow money and almost all CCC's limit your ability to go down that rat whole.  Many years ago when this was not the case, people frequently got themselves into trouble gambling in Vegas on CC's.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 3 of 8
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Interesting. Quite frankly, I use cash advances occassionally on 2 or 3 of my cards. However, not for personnal use. I advance $1000 or $2000 at a time (sometimes more) when the business is low on funds and/or AR is slow paying. I generally just use them as a float for 2 or 3 weeks as needed. I do not recall the costs, but generally the advance fees aren't much more than $10 or $15 each. On my NFCU card the interest on cash advances range from 12.9% to 14.9%. I PIF all my cards each month and NEVER advance money over the long term. 

Anyways, overall the costs aren't that unreasonable, especially when allocated as a business expense. 

Message 4 of 8
b_diddy
Established Contributor

Those are great rates on cash advances.  Usually in the 20%+ range.  Wouldn't a BLOC be even a better option?

Message 5 of 8
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

@b_diddy wrote:

Those are great rates on cash advances.  Usually in the 20%+ range.  Wouldn't a BLOC be even a better option?

Yes, under normal circumstances. My credit scores are reasonable, but unfortunately I have a BK and unpaid tax liens from a prior business (now against me personally). They are both aged, but credit lines are still difficult to obtain for me. NFCU had no problem giving me a CL of $20,000 on my goRewards card, but denied me for their CLOC. I will probably try again in a few months as my membership with them is only 5 months new. For now, if the business is low on cash, credit cards are my only option.

Message 6 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

Anybody know why most CC applications ask you, "how many times in the past 6 months have you taken a cash advance from any of your credit cards?" Is taking a cash advance seen as a negative factor in the application process? I believe I inquired about this before, but never received a clear answer. 

Personally. With 13 cards. I've never been asked that. But I've never taken cash advance either. With Wally and discover don't need to

Message 7 of 8
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

@b_diddy wrote:

Yes, under normal circumstances. My credit scores are reasonable, but unfortunately I have a BK and unpaid tax liens from a prior business (now against me personally). They are both aged, but credit lines are still difficult to obtain for me. NFCU had no problem giving me a CL of $20,000 on my goRewards card, but denied me for their CLOC. I will probably try again in a few months as my membership with them is only 5 months new. For now, if the business is low on cash, credit cards are my only option.

Understand ... sometimes we have to do what we have to do to make it all work.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.