Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Advance Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash Advance Question

Hello all,

I can't seem to find what I am looking for so I thought I'll just ask. Is there any updside or downside to "voluntarily" requesting to have your Cash Advance Limit reduced to the lowest possible or a limit of 0 on your credit cards? Also what does a increase or reduction for your CAL signify; as a general consensus for all cards?

Thank you for any responses.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash Advance Question

The point of $0 CAL is to avoid CA fees when using a card to open Checking/Savings accounts for a SUB either on the card or the C/S accounts.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, i didn't know you can open a bank acc using a credit card! how often are people doing it, and where do you find the SUB's for it? do you think this is the best way to open a new acct?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

wow, i didn't know you can open a bank acc using a credit card! how often are people doing it, and where do you find the SUB's for it? do you think this is the best way to open a new acct?

no no no no no

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

would of been too good to be true, free money in my acct for a month Smiley Happy what did you mean by using a card to open an acct?

Message 5 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The downside is that you wouldn't have cash available to you on that card if you found yourself in need of a cash advance, such as an emergency when traveling.  The upside is that any charges you wouldn't expect to be coded as a cash advance rather than a purchase would be denied, and if your card is stolen you wouldn't need to worry about someone making off with a large cash advance.  The cash advance limit is only known to you and the lender, so there should be zero impact anywhere.

As for funding bank accounts, that's quite common.  When I opened my PenFed share account the day I applied for my Defender card, I had to use a credit card to fund the account because their closest branch is many hundreds of miles from me.

Message 6 of 10
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Wow, I learn something new everyday on this forum!!!  Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The downside is that you wouldn't have cash available to you on that card if you found yourself in need of a cash advance, such as an emergency when traveling.  The upside is that any charges you wouldn't expect to be coded as a cash advance rather than a purchase would be denied, and if your card is stolen you wouldn't need to worry about someone making off with a large cash advance.  The cash advance limit is only known to you and the lender, so there should be zero impact anywhere.

As for funding bank accounts, that's quite common.  When I opened my PenFed share account the day I applied for my Defender card, I had to use a credit card to fund the account because their closest branch is many hundreds of miles from me.

Thanks. Knowing that I might ask to have some of the limits on my everyday use cards lowered. 

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

One other downside:   for some cards, funding some banks (and possibly some other types of transactions), the transaction is initially coded as a cash advance, but then gets automatically converted into a normal purchase transaction.    Those that have lowered the cash advance limit will get the transaction denied, even though it is eventually harmless.

But if you are using cards to open bank accounts, you should be consulting the relevant data lists (such as DoctorofCredit and maybe Flyertalk) which list DP as to what cards worked with which banks and quirks like CA->purchase conversion.      There is still a risk if something changes, but hey, you are playing a game with risks!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I love this forum. I love learning from everyone.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.