Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Back Cards

tag
RonDawg
Contributor

Cash Back Cards

What is the best cash back credit card and why?

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

Re: Cash Back Cards

There is no set answer for this.  It depends on your spending habits.

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 2 of 15
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Thanks for posting this, I was going to ask this qeustion as I'm in need of a cash back card in my life.

Message 3 of 15
HiLine
Blogger

@WhiteCollar wrote:

Thanks for posting this, I was going to ask this qeustion as I'm in need of a cash back card in my life.

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

US Bank Cash+

Why not?

Message 4 of 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

1. US Bank Cash + imo since it's 5% cash back on 2 categories and has a strange one never seen before called billpay.

2. Amex BCP 6% back on groceries, 3% on gas and department stores

3. Chase Trifecta when combined Chase checking + Chase Freedom + Chase Sapphire

Trifecta works by Freedom cards with a checking account gives you 10 points per swipe, so if you do even a 1 penny transaction you'll get 11 points. So Freedom should be used whenever the account is under $10.  Restaurant and travel costs over $10 you should go with Sapphire. Also points are worth 20% more if booked through Chase.com and the prices are very comparable to other travel sites.

you can get $250-300 for sign up for Chase with Checking, $100 bonus for spend $500 with Chase Freedom, and $400 worth of points if you spend $3,000.

So that's $750-850 worth of sign up bonuses for $3,500 spending in with Chase in the first 3 months. Not to mention if you paid use all the points for travel from Sapphire bonus it's worth an extra $100. putting you close to around $1,000. Not only that every year you get a 7% annual bonus from Chase Sapphire even on the points you spent. So if you spend $100,000 worth of points you'll get $70 worth for free. Not to mention Chase offers rewards if you purchase stuff at their Chase Ultimate rewards mall which can get you upto 20 points on the dollar.

Then best part is since Freedom points on rotating categories at 5% can be transfered to sapphire and also get 7% bonus at the year's end. and being worth 20% more for travel that's 6.24 points per dollar spent and not to mention the extra 10 points for having a checking + freedom so if it did 730 transactions in a year (2 a day) that would be an extra 7,300 points for the year so that should push things closer to 6.5 points per dollar or more on rotating categories.

It's kinda hard to explain but the benefits are quite nice. 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 15
flowfaster
Established Contributor

US Bank Cash+ is No.1

Amex BCP/E

Discover/Freedom/Dividend

Forward (not really cashback)

Priceline 2%

BoA 123

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 6 of 15
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

AMEX BCE + Chase Freedom... both have no AF.  I have neither but antecdotally have been pretty good to some people.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Us Bank cash plus without question.  No AF, and some pretty good 5% options including Billpay, Restaurants, travel and hotel.  You get to choose either gas/grocery/drug stores in the 2% catagory.  If you want to play the game, go to your local grocery store and buy gas cards.  Double edged sword there.  There are a few pieces nobody ever thinks about or mentions here.  The catagories are unlimited.  BOA, Chase, Discover they all have 1500 quarterly caps.  Not the cash plus.  Also, if you redeem in quantities of 100 dollars, you also get another 25 dollar visa gift card in the mail.  The big one for me, is if you are already a us bank platinum checking customer you get an additional 50 percent bonus on your purchase based off of 1%.  So you would get 5.5% on your bonus catagories, 2.5% on your gas/groceries or drug store, and 1.5% on everything else.  You cannot beat this card

Message 8 of 15
HiLine
Blogger

@flowfaster wrote:

US Bank Cash+ is No.1

Amex BCP/E

Discover/Freedom/Dividend

Forward (not really cashback)

Priceline 2%

BoA 123

I would rank Discover, Freedom and Dividend in tier 2, instead of Amex BCP/E. The BCP has a hefty annual fee, while the BCE is almost equivalent to the BofA 123.

Message 9 of 15
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Us Bank cash plus without question.  No AF, and some pretty good 5% options including Billpay, Restaurants, travel and hotel.  You get to choose either gas/grocery/drug stores in the 2% catagory.  If you want to play the game, go to your local grocery store and buy gas cards.  Double edged sword there.  There are a few pieces nobody ever thinks about or mentions here.  The catagories are unlimited.  BOA, Chase, Discover they all have 1500 quarterly caps.  Not the cash plus.  Also, if you redeem in quantities of 100 dollars, you also get another 25 dollar visa gift card in the mail.  The big one for me, is if you are already a us bank platinum checking customer you get an additional 50 percent bonus on your purchase based off of 1%.  So you would get 5.5% on your bonus catagories, 2.5% on your gas/groceries or drug store, and 1.5% on everything else.  You cannot beat this card

+1.  You just can't beat this card without an AF(maybe even with).  IMO they are just testing the waters here and will eventually add caps to the categories or take away the $25 gift card. 

So....I think we have a winner here, the US Bank cash+.  End of thread Smiley Tongue

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.