Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash-Back Mastercard?

tag
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Cash-Back Mastercard?

I am looking at a good cash-back mastercard. For some reasons, all cash-back seem to be Visa or Amex. I have looked at Cap 1, Citi, BoA...

Any suggestions?

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Re: Cash-Back Mastercard?

I see a lot of good responses on the BofA card. Personally, after the mortgage burst, I won't give a dime to BofA...
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 2 of 26
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@casmith1980 wrote:
I see a lot of good responses on the BofA card. Personally, after the mortgage burst, I won't give a dime to BofA...

But that's a visa, not a MC.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 3 of 26
casmith1980
Established Contributor

oopsie Smiley Wink

as frustrated as I am with capital one and their "conservative lending practices", their cash back card is good.  I don't hate them by any means, they did help me with my rebuilding, I just wish they showed me some affection

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 4 of 26
Guava
Established Contributor

As far as I know the Citi Dividend is a Mastercard

EDIT: never mind, upon double checking, it is a Visa now, I did not know wow. You're right, cash back MC seems to be a rare animal

EDIT2: Seems like you can apply for a Chase Freedom Mastercard or a Citi Dividend Mastercard through the Mastercard website, whether you'd receive it as mastercard is another thing though.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a student one that's a mastercard
Message 6 of 26
hemi961
Regular Contributor

When you find a card you want, call the issuing bank and ask if you can get it in a Mastercard.  Even though the advertising material might show one or the other, many times the bank can issue it either way.  When I got my Chase Freedom, I requested a Mastercard and there wasn't a problem.

Message 7 of 26
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

Had a Chase Freedom MC originally and had to be issued a new card and its still a Master Card so I know you can still get them. I would just call to app over the phone and tell them that you would like the MC.
EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 8 of 26
SenorDragon
Valued Member

@casmith1980 wrote:

oopsie Smiley Wink

as frustrated as I am with capital one and their "conservative lending practices", their cash back card is good.  I don't hate them by any means, they did help me with my rebuilding, I just wish they showed me some affection

I've read this quite a bit and have experienced it myself, getting stuck with a Capital One Platinum with an $800 CL that wouldn't budge. I just got their new cash rewards card with a $7500 CL though, the highest of my cards. I guess they're a bit more generous in limits with their prime cards, and that one is a rewards MC.

Message 9 of 26
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Guava wrote:

As far as I know the Citi Dividend is a Mastercard

EDIT: never mind, upon double checking, it is a Visa now, I did not know wow. You're right, cash back MC seems to be a rare animal

EDIT2: Seems like you can apply for a Chase Freedom Mastercard or a Citi Dividend Mastercard through the Mastercard website, whether you'd receive it as mastercard is another thing though.

@hemi961 wrote:

When you find a card you want, call the issuing bank and ask if you can get it in a Mastercard.  Even though the advertising material might show one or the other, many times the bank can issue it either way.  When I got my Chase Freedom, I requested a Mastercard and there wasn't a problem.

Two comments.

When I applied for the Citi Dividend Platinum Select cashback card, it was a mastercard and there was no problem in converting it to a visa version

So hopefully currently there would be no problem for an applicant applying for the visa version and then converting it to the mastercard conversion.

If that works out for you, be aware that down the road they might (up)convert that mastercard version to a World Mastercard version which is what they did a few months ago to a lot of people.

Second comment.

It seems like it was just a few weeks ago that what was on Citi's website was the World Mastercard version. This is unexpected that suddenly this is the visa version being offered; furthermore, I can't recall seeing the visa version being offered before on Citi's website. Maybe Visa is on better terms with banks ? USAA didn't used to advertise their Visa card on the website; you had to be aware that it existed and then request to apply for it.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.