tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Cash Back Swing Cards

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Geo-fenced but about 14 states are OK

Bank of the West Cashback

3% - Gas, Grocery, Fast-Food, Restaurant and 1% other.

NAF, Cashback,  Master Card

That is the same as NFCU More Rewards.

Except that last item!

Message 11 of 26
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Other than my flat rate cards, I have the BCP for 6% on groceries and in app purchases more than $4, Savor for 3% on dining, Marvel for 3% on video game stores, BBVA for 3% on utilities, Rewards+ for 10 points for each purchase under $4 (this card is great for micro transactions on mobile games), Apple Card for 3% on Apple products, Amazon Store Card for 5% on Amazon, Discover It for 5% on rotating categories, and Target for 5% at Target. 

Of course I have the AOD card now so if that lasts, all of my 3% cards are no longer necessary. 

You can quickly run into rewards being diluted if you get a bunch of cards with minimum redemption thresholds but the only cards I have that has that issue are my BCP and Rewards+ since BBVA I could technically just make a small purchase and erase it with points so it isn't a big deal. 

Obviously this hinges on keeping track of which card to use for what but the WalletFlo website tracks all of that for me. It's not perfect (Rewards+ isn't my best grocery card, that's BCP, and BBVA only has one 3% category but they haven't implemented a way to designate that yet) but the cheat sheet is still handy. 

I have WalletFlo too and what I figured out how to do is load all the cards on there like I had them to see how they'd compare. The Freedom Unlimited they are giving me a value of 2.59% on everyday purchases. With a Double Cash it might beat that number. From the looks of that number you have with Groceries on the Rewards+ it would be 3.24%.

But yes if you go with too many cards than its $10 cash back in each annually. Rewards+ is interesting because I'll do a lot of small purchases at the laundrymat, 7-11 purchases ect. The sign up bonus is not that bad either 15,000 points (from the WalletFlo tool worth $243 dollars). Oh wait you can't transfer with the Rewards+ but at $150 that is still a repectable bonus and then you're getting 2-3 at gas/groceries. Of course I could always try for a Citi Prestige down th road and maximize Rewards+ points.

US Bank Cash+ I've been looking at has the 5x in fast food but they mean chains and not food trucks and local places. In some markets fast food is your restaurants. Utilities for me is just my electric bill. Car insurance falls under bills and utiities with Chase but I don't think so with US Bank. I may be shut out with them from what I'm reading with 10/24 inquires on Experian.

The ultimate might be Affinity FCU Cash Rewards where w/ rotators they are giving you an annualized 7.5% Amazon, 3% Restaurant, Gas and Grocery. Thats like an Amazon Store Card and NFCU More Rewards combined into one. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Other than my flat rate cards, I have the BCP for 6% on groceries and in app purchases more than $4, Savor for 3% on dining, Marvel for 3% on video game stores, BBVA for 3% on utilities, Rewards+ for 10 points for each purchase under $4 (this card is great for micro transactions on mobile games), Apple Card for 3% on Apple products, Amazon Store Card for 5% on Amazon, Discover It for 5% on rotating categories, and Target for 5% at Target. 

Of course I have the AOD card now so if that lasts, all of my 3% cards are no longer necessary. 

You can quickly run into rewards being diluted if you get a bunch of cards with minimum redemption thresholds but the only cards I have that has that issue are my BCP and Rewards+ since BBVA I could technically just make a small purchase and erase it with points so it isn't a big deal. 

Obviously this hinges on keeping track of which card to use for what but the WalletFlo website tracks all of that for me. It's not perfect (Rewards+ isn't my best grocery card, that's BCP, and BBVA only has one 3% category but they haven't implemented a way to designate that yet) but the cheat sheet is still handy. 

I have WalletFlo too and what I figured out how to do is load all the cards on there like I had them to see how they'd compare. The Freedom Unlimited they are giving me a value of 2.59% on everyday purchases. With a Double Cash it might beat that number. From the looks of that number you have with Groceries on the Rewards+ it would be 3.24%.

But yes if you go with too many cards than its $10 cash back in each annually. Rewards+ is interesting because I'll do a lot of small purchases at the laundrymat, 7-11 purchases ect. The sign up bonus is not that bad either 15,000 points (from the WalletFlo tool worth $243 dollars). Oh wait you can't transfer with the Rewards+ but at $150 that is still a repectable bonus and then you're getting 2-3 at gas/groceries. Of course I could always try for a Citi Prestige down th road and maximize Rewards+ points.

US Bank Cash+ I've been looking at has the 5x in fast food but they mean chains and not food trucks and local places. In some markets fast food is your restaurants. Utilities for me is just my electric bill. Car insurance falls under bills and utiities with Chase but I don't think so with US Bank. I may be shut out with them from what I'm reading with 10/24 inquires on Experian.

The ultimate might be Affinity FCU Cash Rewards where w/ rotators they are giving you an annualized 7.5% Amazon, 3% Restaurant, Gas and Grocery. Thats like an Amazon Store Card and NFCU More Rewards combined into one. 

Yeah I wish you could set specific cash back rates and categories on WalletFlo but I keep track of most of it in my head anyway. 

Cash+ is my goal card but outside of the $140 internet bill, it won't get regular use (my cell was going to go on there but I'm paying off my phone which will drop my bill to $15). Electronic stores includes Newegg and I do plan to build a new computer this year so I will probably max out or come close to maxing out the $2K for that quarter.

I probably would be better served by the Affinity card but I have done too much with CUs these past few months. I'll think about it when I leave the garden in October if it's still around. 

Message 13 of 26
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Great question @Citylights18 

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 14 of 26
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Best way to do this is actually analyze data. Use an app like Mint and audit your expenses as it does miscategorize things. After a 3-4 month sample size, look at your top 3 expenditures and get cards that would benefit you. 

BBVA clearpoints

BofA rewards

are a couple other cards. 

Message 15 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cash+ is my goal card but outside of the $140 internet bill, it won't get regular use (my cell was going to go on there but I'm paying off my phone which will drop my bill to $15). Electronic stores includes Newegg and I do plan to build a new computer this year so I will probably max out or come close to maxing out the $2K for that quarter.

If it's really only going to be used for a one time large purchase and seldom used outside of that (one $140 a month bill is not going to get you a meaningful difference over another card), you could instead put that spend towards a cash SUB and come out far ahead.

Message 16 of 26
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If it's really only going to be used for a one time large purchase and seldom used outside of that (one $140 a month bill is not going to get you a meaningful difference over another card), you could instead put that spend towards a cash SUB and come out far ahead.

Its more about the annual here. Over a year that is $1,680 dollars and 5% of that is $84 cash back. For some on this board that probably spend north of 5,000 on utilities it amounts to $250 cb a year. Then if you kept it open for electronics stores its 5% on whatever you spend there.

The question is would this be the type of card you'd like to use for its 2% categories too, sans 5% rotator coverage in lieu of 1% or 1.5% base earning from a travel points card? Not a "daily driver" for massive points but for under $10 purchases.

Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 17 of 26
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I wish you could set specific cash back rates and categories on WalletFlo but I keep track of most of it in my head anyway. 

I probably would be better served by the Affinity card but I have done too much with CUs these past few months. I'll think about it when I leave the garden in October if it's still around. 

The flaw I see is the Affinity card is while its a direct replacement of the Amazon 5% discount its not a direct replacemet of the Amazon store and cc cards 0% financing offers.

Also that SUB of $200 on $3000 spend is one of the very worst ratios I've ever seen, especially in this economy where people aren't spending at the same rate as before. Many cards are giving you $200 for $1000, even if that requirement was $1500 it wouldn't be so bad.

Message 18 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you are heavily valuing UR points why bother with the Cash+ for Internet/Phone?

Sort that with one of the Chase Ink cards at 5x.  Like you 140/mo but keeping points in one ecosystem and you value them at 1.25% anyway... that beats the Cash+.  Just quietly earns 8400 UR per year.

Ultimately I would suggest figuring out which of the major issuers to wrap your arms around and then go do that.  Then paper over the cracks in the margins.

For all that I did pick up the AOD card but I know that is astoundingly rare... I am struggling to make good use of my points anyway though, really hard for me to get away anywhere for all that I did use them to book a flight to Lima in November but who knows if that will be a thing even then.

        
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean it's still got a $150 for $500 spend SUB attached to it so there's a SUB involved. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.