Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back card question

tag
Cstl05
Contributor

Cash back card question

Hey guys, looking for a good cashback card.  Have the freedom and the citicash returns, but those cards dont offer too great of rewards.

My dilema Blue cash vs BOA Accelerated Cash Rewards?

I spend about 50k-100k annually.  

I applied for the Blue cash card when my equifax was 745, however I believe amex pulls Experian, my eq went up to 766 today, should I apply for the BoA card, or wait?  I just opened 2 accounts in november 09 1 being the amex delta.

Any feedback would be great. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: Cash back card question

I don't know about the BOA card, but I had definitely did well with the Blue Cash--both rewards and service.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

paypal buyer credit linked with your debit card will earn you 2% cashback and you get it as soon as you pay your bill. so if you spend $100k you would get $2,000 back for nothing I think that is the best you would ever get or highest..
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do the BoA pre-approval site and see what offers they have and go from there.
Message 4 of 18
Cstl05
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You can do the BoA pre-approval site and see what offers they have and go from there.

Will this lower my credit score/do they pull my credit score??

Thanks. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No.  It's just to see if they have offers for you.  If anything, it's a soft hit.
Message 6 of 18
Raziel77
Regular Contributor

is there anyway to check my offers from american express? I was able to view my pre approved cards from capital one, HSBC... but not amex Smiley Sad
TU: 738
EQ: 721
EX: 732 Plus score
Message 7 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think if your spending that kind of money you are going to like the services of Amex much better and they won't need hand holding if you charge large ticket items like other banks probably will.

if you pay in full though, I would probably go with a straight Charge card like Gold or Platinum Amex and you can trade in your membership reward points for cash if you wish 

Message 8 of 18
Cstl05
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I think if your spending that kind of money you are going to like the services of Amex much better and they won't need hand holding if you charge large ticket items like other banks probably will.

if you pay in full though, I would probably go with a straight Charge card like Gold or Platinum Amex and you can trade in your membership reward points for cash if you wish 

Thank you.  What is the difference between a charge card and an amex blue cash? 

Message 9 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

hopefully someone will chime in about the tiers of blue cash and let us both know if 50k spending would be better on those tiers.

but I know the charge cards can earn up to 5% on certain purchases and I think it's 3% on dining etc. so that would be better to me I think

Plus once you have established a relationship with amex and your spending, if you go from 5k to 10k one month you will probably be okay but with the credit card if your cl is only 7k you can't go over that.  But keep in mind you probably won't be able to open a charge card with amex and charge 5k+ out the gates with it, you have to get them to know you a little bit first, but multiple payments a month for the first 4-6 months should get you into the spending power your looking for with no problem 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.