Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back card/s

tag
C6
Regular Contributor

Re: Cash back card/s

I do realize that some have ML investment accounts. I'm content with my current brokers so I never considered them. I was just commenting that I would never park any real money in BOA.

Message 11 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Multiple posts that went totally off topic moved to PF, separate thread created so that conversation about investments can continue while at the same time whatever I) asked can be discussed here 

Message 12 of 22
phantasm
New Contributor

Could always go with this 3% CB rewards card: https://www.y12fcu.org/credit-cards/visa-signature-rewards-card/

Features and Benefits*

• Earn up to 3% Unlimited CASH BACK
    • On Every purchase, Every day, Everywhere!
    • Minimum 1.5% Cash Back
  • 0% Interest for 12 Months on Purchases
    • Interest rate as low as 13.74% to 18.00%
  • $200 Cash Bonus
    • Spend $1,000 in the first 90 days, and receive $200 cash bonus (20,000 bonus points)
  • No Annual Fee
  • Balance Transfer available

Visa Benefits Offered at No Cost

• Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
  • Roadside Dispatch
  • Travel Accident Insurance up to $1,000,000
  • Norton LifeLock
  • Lost Luggage Reimbursement
  • Purchase Security
Starting Score: 800
Current Score: 836
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 22
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@phantasm

Could always go with this 3% CB rewards card: 

https://www.y12fcu.org/credit-cards/visa-signature-rewards-card/

*Earn up to 3% Unlimited CASH BACK

*Minimum 1.5% Cash Back

Welcome to My Fico Forums @phantasm.

A couple of major issues with this suggestion unfortunately. The Credit Union appears strictly geofenced to just (8) counties in Tennessee so the availability is severely limited. 

Second, this isn't really a true 3% card if you read the fine print on their complicated rewards structure. It's a 1.5% everything card that becomes 2% (plus 0.5%) with "Relationship Rewards" requiring either (1) Checking account with Direct Deposit and maintaining $45K in combined deposit and loan balances or (2) Checking Account with Direct Deposit PLUS 45 or more monthly card transactions. All that just for 2%. Smiley Sad  *Direct Deposits are minimum of $500 required to be wages, pension or social security. Transfers of funds do not count.  There are many other 2% or higher cards on My Fico that have few if any such strings attached.

The only way you earn the "UP to" 3% is by redeeming rewards towards additional credit union products (Either 10% or 25% or 50% bonus depending on which product ... whether deposit accounts, investments, or loans) or donating to the CU's charitable foundation (100% bonus).   The higher 50% or 100% that could get you to 3% overall are only by opening new loans or the charitable donation, but of course those options don't leave you with a true 3% return. 

For other recent discussions about 2% or better cash back card options, here are three helpful threads:

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 14 of 22
phantasm
New Contributor

One point of clarification about the geofencing is that it's geofenced to working, living, attending school, or worship in those counties. Presumably, there is no distinction for online school or worship vs physical attendance as long as the school or house of worship is located in those counties. But I do agree that the complex requirements to get to 3% CB make it not a great card.

Starting Score: 800
Current Score: 836
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 22
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

@CramEiko wrote:

Currently my daily driver is BoA Unlimited Cash Rewards (grey card). It's especially good for big purchases.

With the BoA's top tier Honors segment, this card is giving me 2.62% cash back on everything purchased. No per month spending limitations and it has no annual fee. Well, the only limiting ability would be my available Credit Limit/s (I have 2 of the same card). I also use my Penfed 2% Cash Rewards for my larger purchases we well.

Does anyone have anything equal to or greater than to these cards as far as cash back only categories (not points)?

Thanks!

Amex BCP is hard to beat 

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 16 of 22
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. As far as parking that much at BOA for the increase of % in returns on spend, well, it's parked there long enough to change my monthly average then moved to something better. 

I'm looking for straight % cash back on spend. Yes, some will offer 4%-5% in fuel, however, It's often capped, For Example: Citi Costco. 4% on fuel spend "up to $7k per year. This doesn't benefit me the way it's intended. I think even Alliance is capped at a certain dollar mount spent per year.. 

I should have stated that I didn't want to chase categories. I'm looking for the best that I can find without the caps or changing categories. 

Thank you!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 17 of 22
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Given that you already have at least PH-level status and just want a simple solution I can't think of a better option than what you already have unless your normal organic spend would leverage enough of the travel credit and/or earns 3.5% (travel/dining) to offset the $95/yr AF of the Premium Rewards card.     You already have a Penfed PCR so already have a good backup if wanted for senarios that would normally trigger the UCR's 3% foreign transaction fee. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 18 of 22
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@CramEiko wrote:

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. As far as parking that much at BOA for the increase of % in returns on spend, well, it's parked there long enough to change my monthly average then moved to something better. 

I'm looking for straight % cash back on spend. Yes, some will offer 4%-5% in fuel, however, It's often capped, For Example: Citi Costco. 4% on fuel spend "up to $7k per year. This doesn't benefit me the way it's intended. I think even Alliance is capped at a certain dollar mount spent per year.. 

I should have stated that I didn't want to chase categories. I'm looking for the best that I can find without the caps or changing categories. 

Thank you!

How much do you spend in fuel per year?  You can try the SYW MC card for 5% back (in points) for $10,000 spend per year.  It's not exactly true cash back but you can use your points for gift cards from many retailers for 5% off, powered by Raise.com.  Plus other offers (often true cash back)  throughout the year.       

https://www.shopyourway.com/card  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 19 of 22
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@CramEiko wrote:

Thank you!

@CramEiko Hi! Thanks for sharing more details. Which card(s) did you decide to move forward with? How are they working out for you?

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.