Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash back?

tag
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Cash back?

Is it just what it says, or is there a catch? If I charge $100 on a card, and say the cb percentage is 2 percent, I still owe $100, right? I would get $2 from the merchant or card company? Or would I only end up paying $98? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question and thank you!

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cash back?

Typically, CC companies have a rewards balance(Exception: Penfed cash rewards is applied at the statement cut automatically). Typically, when your statement cuts, the cashback you've earned through the month will be deposited into your account(Exception examples: Barclays is when the charge clears, AMEX is a month behind).

Then you can either ask for the money you've earned in the form of a check(Carries a minimum balance needed to redeem) or just apply it as statement credit (Sometimes needs a minimum, usually lower than check, to redeem). If they offer points, they usually have other things to redeem like gift cards or products as well.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 2 of 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

You would still have to pay $100, unless you choose to apply the $2 cash back towards your balance.

If you tell us which card specifically you are referring to, we can give more exact advice.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

You pay the charges in full; the rewards will post to your account typically at the end of the billing cycle. When the rewards post you'll have cash credit to apply toward the account balance. 

Message 4 of 8
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Bank of America cash rewards.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 5 of 8
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

So would I have an option to keep the cash?

Message 6 of 8
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Great blog HiLine!

Message 7 of 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't have that card so I'm not sure how the cash back works.

Could someone else who has the card help the OP figure out when the cash back is available and how the OP can use it? Does it have to be in $25 increments, is it available to use immediately, etc.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.