Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CashBack for 2018 !

tag
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

CashBack for 2018 !

Hey Ficofam ! , 

So the other day i was looking at my 2018 year end statement for discover and freaked out that i charged up almost 12k. I started using the card around may and was curious on how much i made in cashback . Statement shows $175 in cashback and 0 intrest paid. Im pretty excited ! So now im curious if any of you were able to to come out ahead this past year and maybe you want to share how much cash back did you make / how much did you charge / which credit card gave you the best cashback for the year etc.

I decided to look into this because my coworker was saying how he made out $100 in cashback this past year But ! i had to burst his little bubble as nice as i could to explain that when you got intrest paid thats higher then what u made in cashback u really didnt come out ahead etc.

just thought i share , i still need to look into my credit union credit card to see how much i made in the first few months of the year.

if i happen to post this in wrong section very sorry in advance. Newb

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CashBack for 2018 !

Congrats on your CB with no interest paid. 😀

My Discover didn’t get as much use in 2018 (second year) only for 5% categories. I got $85 year total, no interest. Also, I don’t use it for larger purchases due to some of the perks being nerfed. 

Message 2 of 21
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply jag73 , $85 is a nice bonus to get for free ! Yeah i use my discover like a debit card and i figured why not get paid for doing my normal daily things and to pay my monthly bills.

Message 3 of 21
xaximus
Valued Contributor

For Discover - I only used it for the 5% categories, pretty much nothing else. I hit around $100ish for CB, with the CB match, I should be able to take home $200ish. As far as my other cards, my total CB is probably around 600-700ish. That doesn't include any points/miles/etc.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Discover card was opened in 6/2018. In 2018, I reached $85 CB (so, considering CBMatch, I’ll be at at least $170.)

While off subject, I want to mention a tremendous goal and reached accomplishment for an otherwise “spendy,” type girl - $25,004.54 was put into a 2% APY Discover Savings account. My goal was to save $10k last year....which I’ve never been able to accomplish. When I reached the goal - I decided not to stop.

So, with Cashback + Interest earned from Discover, I’m at nearly +$400 for 2018. 😁
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW: to your point, @Fico82 : I PIF my credit card, so as not to negate Discover’s interest payments to me!

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also use Discover now strictly for the categories that appeal to me. I maxed out only 1 category in 2018, but did get CB for some other categories as well.

As for total CB in 2018, including personal and business, I received a little over $12k in CB. I don't have any cards which offer points/miles since I don't ever travel. Just CB for me for now. Also, I refuse to pay interest. Never have and never will.
Message 7 of 21
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

@ XAXIMUS very good job there , i need to learn some tips to maximize categories etc.
@ imichelle congrats on your goal that's awesome i bet it felt great to hit your goal and there is no stopping now !
@ Truthhurts87 WOW! I can't wait to share this info with my coworker that you hit 12k on cb , you definitely the cashback king !

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

NICE!! Great post also....Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got about $150 not including SUBs. 

Disco will be matching me $122 in April and I’ve already banked $22 so far this year. 

I don’t have high income and I don’t travel but I am charging everything and then PIF my statements so I’m always earning cashback so this year should be at least $300. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.