Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CashBack for 2018 !

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

CashBack for 2018 !

Hey Ficofam ! , 

So the other day i was looking at my 2018 year end statement for discover and freaked out that i charged up almost 12k. I started using the card around may and was curious on how much i made in cashback . Statement shows $175 in cashback and 0 intrest paid. Im pretty excited ! So now im curious if any of you were able to to come out ahead this past year and maybe you want to share how much cash back did you make / how much did you charge / which credit card gave you the best cashback for the year etc.

I decided to look into this because my coworker was saying how he made out $100 in cashback this past year But ! i had to burst his little bubble as nice as i could to explain that when you got intrest paid thats higher then what u made in cashback u really didnt come out ahead etc.

just thought i share , i still need to look into my credit union credit card to see how much i made in the first few months of the year.

if i happen to post this in wrong section very sorry in advance. Newb

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: CashBack for 2018 !

Congrats on your CB with no interest paid. 😀

My Discover didn’t get as much use in 2018 (second year) only for 5% categories. I got $85 year total, no interest. Also, I don’t use it for larger purchases due to some of the perks being nerfed. 

Got some pruning to do... No more new cards!
Message 2 of 21
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply jag73 , $85 is a nice bonus to get for free ! Yeah i use my discover like a debit card and i figured why not get paid for doing my normal daily things and to pay my monthly bills.

Message 3 of 21
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

For Discover - I only used it for the 5% categories, pretty much nothing else. I hit around $100ish for CB, with the CB match, I should be able to take home $200ish. As far as my other cards, my total CB is probably around 600-700ish. That doesn't include any points/miles/etc.

Scores - All bureaus 756 +
TCL - Est. $275K
Message 4 of 21
Highlighted
New Contributor

My Discover card was opened in 6/2018. In 2018, I reached $85 CB (so, considering CBMatch, I’ll be at at least $170.)

While off subject, I want to mention a tremendous goal and reached accomplishment for an otherwise “spendy,” type girl - $25,004.54 was put into a 2% APY Discover Savings account. My goal was to save $10k last year....which I’ve never been able to accomplish. When I reached the goal - I decided not to stop.

So, with Cashback + Interest earned from Discover, I’m at nearly +$400 for 2018. 😁

Discover IT - USAA AmEx Cash Rewards
US Bank Cash+ - AmEx Cash 365
Nordstrom Visa - Amazon Prime Corporate
In a former life, I was a poker player. I no longer rely on luck.
Message 5 of 21
Highlighted
New Contributor

BTW: to your point, @Fico82 : I PIF my credit card, so as not to negate Discover’s interest payments to me!

Discover IT - USAA AmEx Cash Rewards
US Bank Cash+ - AmEx Cash 365
Nordstrom Visa - Amazon Prime Corporate
In a former life, I was a poker player. I no longer rely on luck.
Message 6 of 21
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I also use Discover now strictly for the categories that appeal to me. I maxed out only 1 category in 2018, but did get CB for some other categories as well.

As for total CB in 2018, including personal and business, I received a little over $12k in CB. I don't have any cards which offer points/miles since I don't ever travel. Just CB for me for now. Also, I refuse to pay interest. Never have and never will.
Message 7 of 21
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ XAXIMUS very good job there , i need to learn some tips to maximize categories etc.
@ imichelle congrats on your goal that's awesome i bet it felt great to hit your goal and there is no stopping now !
@ Truthhurts87 WOW! I can't wait to share this info with my coworker that you hit 12k on cb , you definitely the cashback king !

Message 8 of 21
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

NICE!! Great post also....Smiley Happy

American Express Business Gold(NPSL 10k) Chase CSP (25k) BofA CR Siggy (20.8k) BofA BBR (22.1k) Amex BCP(4.1k) Overstock (21.1K) Lowes (17K) NFCU CLOC (15K) NFCU VS Cash (15K) Care Credit (15k) J Crew( 11.9k)Venture WMC (10.25k) Amex Everyday (1k) Chase Slate (10k) Walmart MC(10k) BB Visa (10k) Discover(4.5k☝️) PayPal Cashback Mastercard (8k) Chase FU (7.4k) Citi AAdvantage Gold World Elite (9.5K) Citi Double Cash (8.5k) Fidelity® Rewards Visa Signature® Card (6.5K) PenFed PCR (5K) PayPal Credit (4550)Discover (500✌️) Kohls (3k) Chase Freedom (1500)

Mortgage May 2017 - 2 auto loans (1 PenFed and 1 Navy) Aug 2018=98K
Gardening until June 2021

FICO 8 Scores EX 700 EQ 696 TU 703
AAOA 5.2yrs TCL=268,700
Message 9 of 21
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I got about $150 not including SUBs. 

Disco will be matching me $122 in April and I’ve already banked $22 so far this year. 

I don’t have high income and I don’t travel but I am charging everything and then PIF my statements so I’m always earning cashback so this year should be at least $300. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.