cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashback Card For Walmart Grocery Pickup/Delivery?

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Cashback Card For Walmart Grocery Pickup/Delivery?

@patoot10 wrote:

In 2 weeks, Discover Q4 kicks in which is wholesales clubs and Amazon.com

All you need to do is buy sams club gift cards then use them at walmart. Effectively earning 5% on walmart, walmart.com & walmart grocery.

You can also max the quarter if you want to enjoy the 5% for a little longer or if you buy a lot of groceries.

If you are in your first year with Discover, it's going to be 10% due to the match.

Thanks,

Don't you have to be a member to buy Sams Club gift cards? I don't do the membership wholesale clubs, Sams or Costco, I'm single so I don't like buying in bulk and they're way out of my way anyway. And if you have a Sam's Club membership why not just shop there?

My store doesn't have grocery pick up yet, and I'm not sure I'll do it if/when they do get it - produce & meat are things I want to look at and pick & choose, so no Amex BCE for me - while most of my Visa & MC cards code my Walmart as grocery, Amex codes it as discount store.

Message 21 of 51
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

You do need a membership to buy gift cards from Sams Club, but who doesn't have a friend that you can go with or have them order it online for you.

Also I shop at walmart because for somethings it just doesn't make sense to buy in bulk if you don't have a big family.

As far as pickup goes I enjoy buying grocery so doing pickup is not a good idea. I like Amex BCE but even if it earns 3% you need to spend $833 to be able to redeem which is a pain and you can get 3% anyway at walmart using the PayPal trick.

Message 22 of 51
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@rolangunslinger wrote:

I use AMEX BCE which will give you 3% cash back.

It all depends on how your walmart is coded.  My local walmart does not code as a  grocery store therefore I get 1% at walmart not 3% even though I am purchasing groceries. 

Edit:  I should have read through the entire thing before replying. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 23 of 51
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@rolangunslinger wrote:

I use AMEX BCE which will give you 3% cash back.

It all depends on how your walmart is coded.  My local walmart does not code as a  grocery store therefore I get 1% at walmart not 3% even though I am purchasing groceries. 

Walmart Grocery Pickup seems to be different... on the statement the location is Bentonville, AR - not the local store.

I'm hoping this continues.  Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 51
Rikkumz
New Contributor

@patoot10 wrote:

You do need a membership to buy gift cards from Sams Club, but who doesn't have a friend that you can go with or have them order it online for you.

Also I shop at walmart because for somethings it just doesn't make sense to buy in bulk if you don't have a big family.

As far as pickup goes I enjoy buying grocery so doing pickup is not a good idea. I like Amex BCE but even if it earns 3% you need to spend $833 to be able to redeem which is a pain and you can get 3% anyway at walmart using the PayPal trick.

Would you mind explaining more about the Walmart/Paypal trick for those of us not in the know?  I tried searching the board but I wasn't able to come across a thread with relevant details.

Message 25 of 51
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Rikkumz wrote:

@patoot10 wrote:

Would you mind explaining more about the Walmart/Paypal trick for those of us not in the know?  I tried searching the board but I wasn't able to come across a thread with relevant details.

It's this thread: Earn 3% on everything using one card. If you have the PayPal business debit card you get 1% cashback when you run it as credit with no PIN. Then if you have the PayPal 2% Cashback Mastercard you can set it as the backup funding for the debit card for 2% rewards, getting a combined 3% rewards. Your PayPal Cash balance has to be zero or the debit card will use those funds first.

Message 26 of 51
Rikkumz
New Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Rikkumz wrote:

@patoot10 wrote:

It's this thread: Earn 3% on everything using one card. If you have the PayPal business debit card you get 1% cashback when you run it as credit with no PIN. Then if you have the PayPal 2% Cashback Mastercard you can set it as the backup funding for the debit card for 2% rewards, getting a combined 3% rewards. Your PayPal Cash balance has to be zero or the debit card will use those funds first.

Nice!  Thanks for the info.

Message 27 of 51
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Walmart has been running promos where you pay in store with your Walmart store card with Walmart Pay for 3% rewards, Walmart Pay is included the Walmart Android or iOS app. The last promo was June & July and I used that. No promo since then so I've rarely used my Walmart card since, 1% rewards in store doesn't cut it, I have a couple Visa/MC cards that give me 2%.

Message 28 of 51
tiniwings
Established Member

@patoot10 wrote:

All you need to do is buy sams club gift cards then use them at walmart. Effectively earning 5% on walmart, walmart.com & walmart grocery.

You can also max the quarter if you want to enjoy the 5% for a little longer or if you buy a lot of groceries.

If you are in your first year with Discover, it's going to be 10% due to the match.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for the tip! I have't got this idea even I use Discover and Walmart for my shopping.

Quick question: Will cashback points apply even if we purchase Gift Cards ? In this case 5% for Sam's Club Gift Card?

Thank you.

Message 29 of 51
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@tiniwings wrote:

@patoot10 wrote:

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for the tip! I have't got this idea even I use Discover and Walmart for my shopping.

Quick question: Will cashback points apply even if we purchase Gift Cards ? In this case 5% for Sam's Club Gift Card?

Thank you.

Yes, Discover doesn't have a problem with gift card purchases and you get the same cashback points. When the Disco 5% category is for groceries there's always a big thread about buying gift cards at grocery stores as they sell a large variety of them, including Visa & Mastercard that can be used anywhere.

Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.