cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashback Cards for Property Taxes/Insurance Premiums ?

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Cashback Cards for Property Taxes/Insurance Premiums ?

Are there any cashback cards higher than the 2% catchall's that can cover 3%-5% for property taxes and insurance premiums ?  Of course, not limited to those specifically, but these being included in particular category cards....

For instance, I know State Farm has a very closed-loop 3% card for their own insurance, but bleh....

And property taxes don't seem to fall under any category....

Anyone have any solutions for this?

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Cashback Cards for Property Taxes/Insurance Premiums ?

Signup bonuses. Any cards you've been thinking about getting with a nice SUB to go with it?

As far as cashback cards specifically there aren't really any with these categories. Every once in awhile there will be spending offers on AMEX/Chase/BofA which include insurance purchases to a certain amount. For general spend the only cards I can think of that can come close to bring it to a minimal loss would be BofA Premium Rewards with Platinum Honors (2.625%) and USAA Limitless (2.5%)

Message 2 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Much easier with travel points cards, or especially with any type of signup bonus as simplynoir said.  If you can pay them in person, the US Bank Altitude Reserve would be 3% cash back.

Message 3 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

BBP + Schwab Platinum (big AF, but a card I'd have, anyway): 2x MRs at a 1.25 cent floor = 2.5% (often more as miles). $50k cap per calendar year for 2x, 1x after that.

BofA Premium (moderate AF, but an airfare extras credit): 2.625% with PH (better with stocks than cash, since cash earns nearly no interest at BofA).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 14
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

with a Re: Cashback Cards for Property Taxes/Insurance Premiums ?

@Taurus22 wrote:

Are there any cashback cards higher than the 2% catchall's that can cover 3%-5% for property taxes and insurance premiums ?  Of course, not limited to those specifically, but these being included in particular category cards....

For instance, I know State Farm has a very closed-loop 3% card for their own insurance, but bleh....

And property taxes don't seem to fall under any category....

Anyone have any solutions for this?

Have you considered plastiq ? Can sometimes find a 1-1.5% promo with a little research. 

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 5 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: with a Re: Cashback Cards for Property Taxes/Insurance Premiums ?

@ocheosa wrote:

Have you considered plastiq ? Can sometimes find a 1-1.5% promo with a little research. 

I believe OP is looking to maximize cash back on taxes and insurance premiums that can be paid with a credit card.  Plastiq really only comes into play when you are paying bills that either cannot be paid with a credit card or have fees higher than what Plastiq would charge.

Message 6 of 14
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ocheosa wrote:

I believe OP is looking to maximize cash back on taxes and insurance premiums that can be paid with a credit card.  Plastiq really only comes into play when you are paying bills that either cannot be paid with a credit card or have fees higher than what Plastiq would charge.

I know what the OP was asking. There is usually a fee when using a credit card, at least that is the case in my town/state. My property taxes and home/auto insurance policy premiums add a surcharge or conv fee for credit card payment and offer a discount for cash/check payments. By using plastiq (at a promo rate) with a cashback credit card (whichever OP chooses greater than promo rate) you could get a better return on the transaction. Just trying to offer an alternate payment method. 

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 7 of 14
Ragdollkitty
New Contributor

I've been searching forums to see if there was a card for insurance.

As mentioned, State Farm has a credit card. I believe you have to be a State Farm customer to apply initially but also works for other insurance companies. 3% cash back

I also found AAA Mastercard. Depending on which AAA club services you state, there are cards either from BoA or a company owned by US Bank called ACG Card Services.

This is the specific card that comes up for my area:

From the US Bank owned company and not the BoA version:

AAA Dollars® Plus Mastercard

It says in the bullet points:

Earn 3% on qualifying net AAA purchases, including AAA Membership dues, insurance premiums, theme park tickets and more.2

Footnote suggests other insurances under the code might qualify as well though:

AAA Dollars Plus Mastercard: Earn 3% per dollar for qualifying net purchases made with the card through any participating AAA Club when AAA is the merchant of record, on qualifying net insurance purchases (MCC = 6300) and at eligible retail travel merchants. See footnote 1, above, for details on Net Purchases and Qualifying Purchases. AAA Clubs located in Northern California, Nevada and Utah are not participating AAA Clubs and purchases made at those clubs will not qualify for 3%. Earn 2% per dollar for qualifying net purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and drug stores. Earn 1% per dollar on qualifying net purchases everywhere else

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other than what was mentioned here, I use my DC card to pay auto and homeowner's insurance bills. I do not pay property taxes with a card due to a processing fee that is a fixed % exceeding my rewards.

The key to maximizing cash back is not to pay a transaction fee, and pay insurance with the smallest amount without costing you a fee (6 mos for auto insurance and full amt for homeowner's). That might not be possible for some, but does make a difference. Definitely have to avoid payment processing fees. 

The DC works for me because I don't need to worry about extended warranty, etc, which the DC no longer has and I get 2% and pay no fees. 3% would be great, but I have no cards for that. 

Message 9 of 14
Ragdollkitty
New Contributor

Speaking of property taxes, in my area it costs 2.10% to pay them with CC so only a few cards would work. The BOA ecosystem with the 100k bonus multiplier. The 2.5% annual fee alliant cash back card. In theory I could use Freedom unlimited.and come out ahead since I have CSR.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.