Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashback on Gas?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 11% Cashback on Gas?!

@kshurika wrote:

In South Orange County, CA, Costco gas isn't that much cheaper than, say, Arco (which won't accept credit cards). But, some of the independent stations are WAY cheaper than even Costco. They accept CCs and they sell cards.

Where?  Also living in OC.    Haven't found anything comparable to Costco.

Costco is also better quality gas than the stuff they sell at Arco.  At Arco you have to pay in cash or they hit you with a debit card fee, so its pretty bad all around imo.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats weird to hear about the costco prices abroad, in my area costco is 15 c  minimum chaeper per gal than any of the stations, even the local truck stops. On the high end I have seen costco be 50 c less and they seem to average 30 c less. On diesel they are 40-50 cents cheaper I dont know the low and high of the costco difference, but I have seen quite a few semi's filling up at the local costco next to the highway.  I travel alot and never paid attention abroad. I took my home experience with me and just assumed. Ill have to keep my eye out next time on the road.

Message 12 of 19
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Well, first of all, in California gas is very, very expensive. We've laid so many taxes on gasoline that it's almost ridiculous what we pay - especially when the prices start going up as we approach summer or holidays. It would almost be worth it for a consortium to rent a tanker truck and go to Arizona to buy gasoline wholesale. Even the retail price at the pump in Arizona is incredibly less than California.

I used to get gas at Costco when I was a member, but I realized I was paying the yearly membership fee and going there once to buy stuff at the most. In the higher-end areas of South Orange County (Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, San Clemente, Dana Point, Coto De Caza and about 10 other places) the gas prices are absurd. Only LA and San Francisco beat them. The two Costcos that I know of are easily the best places to buy gas. And, yes, Arco sucks. But, I go to Fountain Valley four times a week to see my martial arts teacher and there are independent stations out there where the prices often beat Costco and the gas is high-quality. (Btw, most gasoline comes from the same refineries and each brand buys the same stuff.) When I use my Discover at 2 x 5% to buy not only gas and oil but several hundred dollars of gift cards for the future. It saves me a lot of money.

I wonder what gas costs in Texas.
Message 13 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

In Los Angeles county. I haven't done a full survey of local prices. Costco is reasonably cheap and certainly convenient as it's also my main grocery destination.

When I used to shop at a CT Costco, though, I did do a limited survey. Gas was 14% cheaper than the next station within a few miles (all Connecticut stations).

AZ certainly does have much lower gas taxes than CA, and I vaguely recall gas being relatively cheap there last summer. I'm not sure how much of the retail price difference is due to taxes.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 19
Gardenhand
Regular Contributor

Just bought three 100 dollar Sunoco prepaid gift cards off EBay for 94 dollars each or 282 total for 300 dollars worth of cards.

Additionally I used PayPal with my Chase Freedom card which is getting five percent cash back rewards this quarter for PayPal purchases.

UR points are worth more the 1cent each because I have the CSP and Hyatt card to transfer points to but counting them at 1cent each I’m getting 14.10 dollars back.

Discount on cards- 18
Freedom Cash Back- 14.10
Total Savings- 32.10
Percentage off- 10.7

It’s worth noting that the Sunoco on my commute is competitive with the surrounding gas stations and often have the best prices available to me.
Message 15 of 19
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Hey kshurika, I've been trying to buy gift cards in the store but they don't allow it and if I do but has cards they will have fees and even for shipping. But, to buy gift cards these days, they require cash unless you pay online.
Message 16 of 19
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I live in the bay area and I use gasbuddy to get chevron, Exxon, or shell but I never tried BP gas before, how are they? Costco gas is cheap than most but idk why I get bad mileage with them. I want the best gas for my car. I never use generic/no name brand lol, if I had no choice then I would put like $5 in the tank with them aha.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBoondocks wrote:
I live in the bay area and I use gasbuddy to get chevron, Exxon, or shell but I never tried BP gas before, how are they? Costco gas is cheap than most but idk why I get bad mileage with them. I want the best gas for my car. I never use generic/no name brand lol, if I had no choice then I would put like $5 in the tank with them aha.

You sure you're measuring your MPG correctly?  I know you were thinking 11 cents per gallon = 11% return.

Message 18 of 19
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

TheBoondocks: I bought my gift cards directly at the gas station where I usually fill up. They are the same size as a credit card and work in the pump the same way.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.