Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Phone Insurance benefit - Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cell Phone Insurance benefit - Approved

@Anonymous wrote:

I would rather pay for AppleCare+. Xfinity Mobile gives me AppleCare+ with theft and loss through Assurant for $12 a month and considering how much Apple charges for out of warranty damage... yeah, not worth the hassle of filling out a claim and having to be reimbursed and all that. AppleCare+ isn’t really something that you just don’t budget for when you get an Apple product anyway so for all intents and purposes it might as well be considered part of the purchase price.

$29/$99 isn’t bad when you look at the $175+ that Android owners have to contend with for insurance deductibles which was what I was getting at about the Uber benefit being great for Android phones. I had to pay that stupid deductible a few times back in the day even for things that should have been covered by warranty because I kept getting refurb units from Sprint that were broken as well. Don’t get me started on how much I don’t miss dealing with warranty issues with Android and Windows Mobile 5 devices... I haven’t even had to use AppleCare yet but just knowing how hassle free it is compared to dealing with carrier insurance or phone manufacturers with Android or WM 5 makes it well worth the price to me. 

Loss and theft is moot on the Uber plan since you’ll still be out of pocket significantly if you lose a XS Max. A $449 deficit before taxes is higher than any deductible and it’s actually $474 since the plan has a $25 deductible and that’s still assuming you went for the base 64GB. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I would rather pay for AppleCare+. Xfinity Mobile gives me AppleCare+ with theft and loss through Assurant for $12 a month and considering how much Apple charges for out of warranty damage... yeah, not worth the hassle of filling out a claim and having to be reimbursed and all that. AppleCare+ isn’t really something that you just don’t budget for when you get an Apple product anyway so for all intents and purposes it might as well be considered part of the purchase price.

$29/$99 isn’t bad when you look at the $175+ that Android owners have to contend with for insurance deductibles which was what I was getting at about the Uber benefit being great for Android phones. I had to pay that stupid deductible a few times back in the day even for things that should have been covered by warranty because I kept getting refurb units from Sprint that were broken as well. Don’t get me started on how much I don’t miss dealing with warranty issues with Android and Windows Mobile 5 devices... I haven’t even had to use AppleCare yet but just knowing how hassle free it is compared to dealing with carrier insurance or phone manufacturers with Android or WM 5 makes it well worth the price to me. 

Loss and theft is moot on the Uber plan since you’ll still be out of pocket significantly if you lose a XS Max. A $449 deficit before taxes is higher than any deductible and it’s actually $474 since the plan has a $25 deductible and that’s still assuming you went for the base 64GB. 

Just for the sake of discussion.

CASE1. Apple Care

You are paying approx $200 per year just for the insurance. Lets say there is a damage. Its a very easy claims process, but your minimum deductible is $29 (if screen broke) or $100 if phone broke. So in total you are paying between $229 to $300 a year if there is an issue.

CASE2. Credit card perk

You are paying zero money. Lets say you get a damage. You can send it to OFFICIAL APPLE SERVICE CENTER (so that there is no difference in quality of workmanship compared to Apple Care Case 1 ). You only pay $25. So in total you are paying only $25 a year if there is an issue.

The only extra step is the claims process. At least from my experience, it just took under an hour for gathering everything. Wasn't complicated.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get your point but there are more factors that go into the decision to keep AppleCare+ - while I may pay $144 a year for it, that includes full theft and loss coverage, yearly upgrades through my carrier, and other perks plus I wouldn’t have to charge the upfront $329/$599 and get reimbursed. 

Like I said, it’s great for Android phones but for my XS Max, I’m going to keep AppleCare+ even if I get this card. 

Message 12 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Free is free.  

I like it.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Soon as I'm done gardening I'm getting that Uber card. Been looking at it for a year. My last inq rolls off next month, then I'm looking into a mortgage. So maybe in 3-4 months I can have that card Smiley Happy 

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly!

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Free is free.  

I like it.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.