Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centurion??

tag
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: Centurion??

This is, sadly, most likely my last year of being an AU. My Dad is thinking of retiring and he certainly won't be spending $250k+ per year during retirement.

Message 61 of 79
sjt
Senior Contributor

@StudentSam wrote:

Any news for 2014 Invites?

I have read that invites have gone out for both Personal and Business Centurion Cards. I dont know what their spend history was for those invited, but invites have gone out.

To this day no one knows what gets someone invited for the Centurion. Some say its paid spending in excess of $500K for a few years, others say its where you spend. I personally think its a combination of many factors.

I also think that invites have gone out in the last few years even though its been reported that Amex stated otherwise. I also think there are backdoor ways of getting an invite, such as a client of Goldman Sachs, other banks, etc.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 62 of 79
sjt
Senior Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

This is, sadly, most likely my last year of being an AU. My Dad is thinking of retiring and he certainly won't be spending $250k+ per year during retirement.

Your father doesnt need to spend $250K to maintain the Centurian Card. Once you have the card there is no spend requirement to retain it. You might offer to pay his annual fee for him to keep the card.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 63 of 79
sjt
Senior Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

My company was invited to get this card a few years back, I declined, I just dont see spending 5000 (now 7500) just to have the waitress go "omg your cards metal and black" then decide she can steal the numbers and charge 100k to it. Not that that has actually happened, but I would imagine with a card that touted to be the 1% of the 1% its going to attract the wrong type of attention. I dont want or need the general public to know how much money I have in the bank or how much I spend  each year. 

edit dint realize this was an old thread 

I dont think its any more likely to happen to a Centurion Card then any other card.

What is likely to happen is someone might take a picture of the Card and show it to their friends. The downside of the "wow" factor.

Message 64 of 79
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

So we don't have to spend $250k a year to have it ? He does that through corporate travel and other business expenses, but that's nice if all you have to do is pay the annual fee.....although I still think he'll cancel it once it's on his dime. 

Message 65 of 79
sjt
Senior Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

So we don't have to spend $250k a year to have it ? He does that through corporate travel and other business expenses, but that's nice if all you have to do is pay the annual fee.....although I still think he'll cancel it once it's on his dime. 

The spend requirements only pertain to qualifying for the card. After approval there is no spend requirements needed to retain the card.

Message 66 of 79
StudentSam
New Contributor

Ive spent over 1.2 mil on my Biz Amex Gold and over 250K on my Biz Amex Plum.... (THIS IS YTD)

750 credit score and no invite..

Albeit my first year using Amex. But we do spend and pay off in full rarely keeping a balance

Starting Score: 506
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 67 of 79
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@StudentSam wrote:

Ive spent over 1.2 mil on my Biz Amex Gold and over 250K on my Biz Amex Plum....

750 credit score and no invite..

Albeit my first year using Amex. But we do spend and pay off in full rarely keeping a balance

Have you ever had your assets varified by american express? I went through this twice now. The first time after spending a lot on both business and personal amex cards I received the business invite. Second time they removed the hard limit on the platinum. 
Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 68 of 79
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@awp317 wrote:

My company was invited to get this card a few years back, I declined, I just dont see spending 5000 (now 7500) just to have the waitress go "omg your cards metal and black" then decide she can steal the numbers and charge 100k to it. Not that that has actually happened, but I would imagine with a card that touted to be the 1% of the 1% its going to attract the wrong type of attention. I dont want or need the general public to know how much money I have in the bank or how much I spend  each year. 

edit dint realize this was an old thread 

I dont think its any more likely to happen to a Centurion Card then any other card.

What is likely to happen is someone might take a picture of the Card and show it to their friends. The downside of the "wow" factor.

Its a case of if your going to get caught stealing the calf might as well steal a cow. Why risk being fired over someones 10k limit card. But when you know that this card can be charged for millions, some honest people might think its worth the risk. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 69 of 79
StudentSam
New Contributor

They never asked to verify anything.

I've been an Amex customer since July of 2013. I signed up with a Delta Skymiles Persona, Then rolled into the Amex Plum (business).. Then Got Amex Gold (Business) and SPG (business). I have 1 Personal Credit card , 1 business credit card, and 2 business charge cards. 4 total with amex. I spend heavily across my Gold/Plum, as I said above i'm over 1.2 mil spend YTD on the gold alone with another ~200k on the plum.

Last year I spent  about 350K Across Plum And Skymiles, and thats only from July-End of year

I don't have platinum, they offered to ugprade me but I use gold because of the additional cardholders and how it's not as expensive for additional cards. I use addtl cards for each of my clients that I am advertising for.. Helps my old school accounting habits

Starting Score: 506
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 70 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.