Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chance of Approval?

tag
Involus
Regular Contributor

Chance of Approval?

I really want to get another card other than my Cap One. I recently paid my util down from 100% to 1% and it is now at a 0 bal. I want to get a Chase Freedom card seeing how they are a prime lender and I bank with them. I currently have 10 inquiries, one of which should fall off on the 30th - when I turned 18 I basically applied for any and all credit I could thus the amount of inquiries. So do you think Chase would approve me? I've never missed a payment or anything like that. If not Chase, any other card? Or should I just garden until I have no inqs?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
MagicShot
Contributor

Re: Chance of Approval?

@CotySinz wrote:

I really want to get another card other than my Cap One. I recently paid my util down from 100% to 1% and it is now at a 0 bal. I want to get a Chase Freedom card seeing how they are a prime lender and I bank with them. I currently have 10 inquiries, one of which should fall off on the 30th - when I turned 18 I basically applied for any and all credit I could thus the amount of inquiries. So do you think Chase would approve me? I've never missed a payment or anything like that. If not Chase, any other card? Or should I just garden until I have no inqs?

I think the new credit law made it harder for people under 21 to get credit unless someone over 21 goes in it with you.

Anyone else can chime in.

Message 2 of 18
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

if you only have one credit account and no other credit cards or loans you will be denied a credit analyst told me over the phone one time when I was denied by Chase for their Amazon.com visa that they like to see multiple accounts to show your responsibility. I would try for citi forward if I was you if you havent had any inquiries for at least the past 6 months at least

amazon
Message 3 of 18
Involus
Regular Contributor

I have student loans out, somewhere around $4000 I also had an installment loan for $1650 that I paid off a while back. I really want a Chase or a Discover or AMEX, but even trying to get approved for AMEX makes me want to laugh.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tsquad131 wrote:

if you only have one credit account and no other credit cards or loans you will be denied a credit analyst told me over the phone one time when I was denied by Chase for their Amazon.com visa that they like to see multiple accounts to show your responsibility. I would try for citi forward if I was you if you havent had any inquiries for at least the past 6 months at least

Personally, I sent in an app awhile ago for a chase sapphire, and after a good while of waiting I got approved (you can look at the thread I posted awhile ago for some more info)  Now, its possible the CR is jerking my chain with the email I got as its been a week and no card Smiley Sad but I assume its legitimate.  I am 19 and the only credit I have is a card through my bank with a 350 buck limit and I got approved for 6k...

Just my 2 cents

Message 5 of 18
dp321
Regular Contributor

Try a student version of Discover, they are much easy to get. Also think about getting a AMEX Zync. I just got approved for the Chase Freedom and I have 1 inquiry this month and 1 from almost 2 years ago. 700 may be a coin toss for a freedom card, I think 720 will give you a much better chance. 

I don't think 10 inquiries will sit well with most prime creditors, neither will 9 - they are basically the same. Are all these inquiries less than 1 year old or they are actually close to two years old?

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 18
dp321
Regular Contributor

Also mind you, 11 inquiry is not much different from 10, either. Just apply for it and the most you will lose is a hard inquiry. You might be lucky enough to slip through the cracks. 

Message 7 of 18
MagicShot
Contributor

@dp321 wrote:

Try a student version of Discover, they are much easy to get. Also think about getting a AMEX Zync. I just got approved for the Chase Freedom and I have 1 inquiry this month and 1 from almost 2 years ago. 700 may be a coin toss for a freedom card, I think 720 will give you a much better chance. 

I don't think 10 inquiries will sit well with most prime creditors, neither will 9 - they are basically the same. Are all these inquiries less than 1 year old or they are actually close to two years old?

I got prime card approvals with 25 inqs Smiley Happy I donno how that worked.

Message 8 of 18
MagicShot
Contributor

@MagicShot wrote:

@dp321 wrote:

s

Some prime lenders pull all 3 big CBs both AMEX and Discover pulled all 3

Message 9 of 18
dp321
Regular Contributor

@MagicShot wrote:

@MagicShot wrote:

@dp321 wrote:

s

Some prime lenders pull all 3 big CBs both AMEX and Discover pulled all 3

You mind sharing your credit profile? Also, I am pretty sure AMEX pull experian only and Discover pulled TransUnion for me when I applied. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.