Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chance of Discover IT with a 678????

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Chance of Discover IT with a 678????

I'm actually not planning on applying until at least August, when one of the three baddies I have drop off.

I would like to app for the Discover IT then...my EQ profile will look similar to this:

• Hopefully my score will bounce above 680
  • Two negative items, one from 2012 (lousy Midland trying to collect on a debt that won't even verify as mine, but that's another drama in and of itself), and a FPB charge off from 2006 that is due to fall off in December 2013
  • Ten positive revolving accounts, oldest being January 2012 and the newest being February 2013.
  • $30K in student loans...positive status, in deferment since I'm back in school part-time, oldest account is 10 years old and still reporting since it isn't paid off yet.
  • 1 inquiry from this year (lousy Capital One EO), I have 8 more but they are from 2012
  • UTIL usually hovers around 20% but of course I will get it lower.
  • Income is around $39.5K from my full time job not including bonuses.

EQ is the most decent looking report so I'm hoping I can at least get something decent. My ideal is to have a large enough credit line so I wouldn't have to juggle between the 5 major bankcards I use. (limits on these range from $300 - $750)

Any ideas????

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Chance of Discover IT with a 678????

Probably good to go right now. I'm around your #'s right now from carrying heavy on one card, and two new apps.

Message 2 of 8
CreditHammer

@injustifiiable wrote:

I'm actually not planning on applying until at least August, when one of the three baddies I have drop off.

I would like to app for the Discover IT then...my EQ profile will look similar to this:

• Hopefully my score will bounce above 680
  • Two negative items, one from 2012 (lousy Midland trying to collect on a debt that won't even verify as mine, but that's another drama in and of itself), and a FPB charge off from 2006 that is due to fall off in December 2013
  • Ten positive revolving accounts, oldest being January 2012 and the newest being February 2013.
  • $30K in student loans...positive status, in deferment since I'm back in school part-time, oldest account is 10 years old and still reporting since it isn't paid off yet.
  • 1 inquiry from this year (lousy Capital One EO), I have 8 more but they are from 2012
  • UTIL usually hovers around 20% but of course I will get it lower.

EQ is the most decent looking report so I'm hoping I can at least get something decent. My ideal is to have a large enough credit line so I wouldn't have to juggle between the 5 major bankcards I use. (limits on these range from $300 - $750)

Any ideas????

My "file" looks a lot like yours minus the 30k in Student loans.. and i have applied 3 times for a Discover and each time i have been denied.. and every single time i recon they tell me "credit score is fine.. we look more into average length of accounts and whats on your credit report, meaning my one little derog from CapOne for 456 dollars from 2006! Also, not to get off Topic, but who was Midland representing? Which card/account?

Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Discover can also pull TU at least they did for me in Jan when I was approved.
Message 4 of 8
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Discover can also pull TU at least they did for me in Jan when I was approved.

I guess, but I've applied twice already and they pulled EQ both times. I'm in Connecticut if that matters.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's so hard to tell with cc's these days. GE was TU 99% now they are pulling EX! In Nov when I first applied and was declined, they pulled EQ....two mos later TU
Message 6 of 8
IWOL
Established Contributor

OP, is your charge of from FPB paid or unpaid?

I applied for Discover it a few months back and I was denied due to a FPB charge off from 2007 that was unpaid. My scores on TU, which they pulled were around 675 at that time.

The CSR told me that they liked what they saw on my report(8 open cc, 15% util) and a perfect payment history since 2007 but they denied me soley due to the unpaid charge off.

If your charge off is paid you have a much better chance of approval.

Message 7 of 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Spend a lil bit time work on your baddie. You won't know until you try. Your change should be 50/50 but on the safe side I probably just work on the baddie for now. You should increase at least 30 points if the baddie gone.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.