Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chance of US bank balance chasing?

tag
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

Chance of US bank balance chasing?

I was just approved for a US bank Go card about a month ago with a small starting credit line (2k). I have had my Cash+ with them (6k) for two years which I pay in full every month. I placed the cost of a recent expense on the Go card since its 0% apr for 12 months. I'd like to place another expense on it, but that would bring my balance up to probably $1,800 or $1,900. From your experience, would US bank most likely be okay with this, or do you all think they'd balance chase me after paying it off? It would be the only card I would carry a balance with. I can immediately use my savings for the expenses instead, I just like the "no pressure" of interest free for a year.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chance of US bank balance chasing?

I don't think anyone can really answer that question. 

If you had such a long history with them to you know why your approval was so low? Did you end up with any negatives between the time you got cash+ till GO app? Was your utilization high at the time of approval?

Normally I'd lean towards if that's your only card with high utilization, you might be okay, but with such a low approval from them for a long-term customer, there is some obvious hesitancy on their and to extend too much additional credit. 

Message 2 of 9
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I don't think anyone can really answer that question. 

If you had such a long history with them to you know why your approval was so low? Did you end up with any negatives between the time you got cash+ till GO app? Was your utilization high at the time of approval?

Normally I'd lean towards if that's your only card with high utilization, you might be okay, but with such a low approval from them for a long-term customer, there is some obvious hesitancy on their and to extend too much additional credit. 

Your guess is as good as mine. I've never had any negatives on my credit history, and my overall utilization has been under 10% for as long as I can remember. My Cash+ was approved at just 3k before an auto CLI. I didn't honestly consider the Go approval to be out of the ordinary for me based on their history since my income is lower and my overall available credit is twice my income. OH, and although I was just 1/12 on new accounts, I was 7/12 on inquiries due to mortgage refinance, applying for 3% cards in April such as US Alliance, etc. I, of course, haven't apped since the Go and do not plan on apping for anything until September.

If anything, I guess I'm just trying to ask a general question of, usually, does US bank have a reputation to balance chase for high single-card utilization?

Message 3 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Honestly @Rockysocks  I think you should be fine, just don't do minimum payments. 

That's just my opinion, though.

As long as you manage your other accounts properly, I don't think you have too much to worry from them.

I don't know how your other lenders would respond to maxed out card, but you do what makes most sense for you

Message 4 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Rockysocks, @Remedios said what came to my mind. Just don't do minimum payments. As long as you have the flexibility to do so, try to pay this off by summer.

Message 5 of 9
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Rockysocks wrote:

I was just approved for a US bank Go card about a month ago with a small starting credit line (2k). I have had my Cash+ with them (6k) for two years which I pay in full every month. I placed the cost of a recent expense on the Go card since its 0% apr for 12 months. I'd like to place another expense on it, but that would bring my balance up to probably $1,800 or $1,900. From your experience, would US bank most likely be okay with this, or do you all think they'd balance chase me after paying it off? It would be the only card I would carry a balance with. I can immediately use my savings for the expenses instead, I just like the "no pressure" of interest free for a year.

As others have said, if that's your only card with a balance you should be ok... US Bank is known to get grumpy if you go to long without sliding your card... they usually retaliate by pushing your interest rates to the highest rate they can.

Bigger than minimum payments and offering them continued swiping you should be fine. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 6 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:
As others have said, if that's your only card with a balance you should be ok... US Bank is known to get grumpy if you go to long without sliding your card... they usually retaliate by pushing your interest rates to the highest rate they can.

Bigger than minimum payments and offering them continued swiping you should be fine. 

You don't want to add swipes to a card that's revolving a balance. Your payments toward bringing that balance down are all the activity that card needs.

Of course, @Rockysocks can happily swipe his other US Bank card and pay it in full every month.

Message 7 of 9
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

You don't want to add swipes to a card that's revolving a balance. Your payments toward bringing that balance down are all the activity that card needs.

Of course, @Rockysocks can happily swipe his other US Bank card and pay it in full every month.

Correct, swipes while carrying a 0% balance can be dangerous especially if the new purchases don't also have the 0%.

I probably should have been clearer about that.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you throw a payment against the existing balance so that when the new charge hits, you're carrying a lower overall balance? In stead of $1800-1900, maybe $1500, and then pay that down to $1350 or so once the new charge posts? That would get you under the 69% threshold and likely give you some breathing room. Then, as said upthread, pay it off over the next 4 months or so.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.