Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances at Chase Sapphire Preferred?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances at Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Hey everyone! I hope you all are having a lovely day so far Smiley Happy

This is my first post in the forums, although I am a long time lurker. I'm posting to see if you all could give me some advice on obtaining the CSP card. First, a little background: I'm a 21 year old college student preparing to study abroad for 6+ months next year, so the sign up bonus is super attractive, but I also am in need of a card with no foreign transaction fees. According to CK my scores are as follows: TU 759 EQ 794 EX ???. My credit profile: Utilization is currently at 3%, pristine payment history, AAoA 2.75 years, two inquiries on TU (one will fall off this Sept) and 0 for EQ. Credit cards: US Bank College Visa - $300 (oldest account at 3.33 years), US Bank Platinum Visa - $8,700, Victoria's Secret Angel Card - $4,350, Credit Union Visa - $1,000 (with a $500 reserve line of credit, not sure if/how this counts) totaling to $14,350-14,850 in credit.

Here is the thing, I app'd for CSP at the end of October last year and received a letter stating that I was denied because of low income (reported $21K from my campus job). I called recon and spoke with someone that needed me to answer some questions to verify my identity & asked if I had any other sources of income that I could possibly count. So, I figured I could try to include some of the money I receive from financial aid which would come to an additional $11K/year (consisting mostly of grants and a small loan). This would put me in the $32K range.  The representative came back after double checking with someone else and told me that it couldn't be counted as income, which kind of sucks because I've read other posts where people have had success in doing this and it's also counted as taxable income each year when I file.

I understand that my income is low, but my heart is set on this card!  Other things that might factor in: I don't really have a rent payment during the school year (covered by family, thankfully) and I live at home in the summer. When I app'd in October, my Platinum card was sitting at $4.2K and began reporting $8.7K in Dec, so I'm not sure if this would help me any a second time around.  Also, when I check the pre-qualified offers, all three of their flagship cards pop up for me. I also have about 7K in savings.

Sorry for such a long post (hopefully I covered all the essential info). What do you all suggest? I'm not sure if their is a minimum income needed for this card, what it might be, or if there is a way I can 'get around' this requirement. Thank you in advance for the input!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Chances at Chase Sapphire Preferred?

@Anonymous wrote:

This is my first post in the forums, although I am a long time lurker. I'm posting to see if you all could give me some advice on obtaining the CSP card. First, a little background: I'm a 21 year old college student preparing to study abroad for 6+ months next year, so the sign up bonus is super attractive, but I also am in need of a card with no foreign transaction fees. According to CK my scores are as follows: TU 759 EQ 794 EX ???. My credit profile: Utilization is currently at 3%, pristine payment history, AAoA 2.75 years, two inquiries on TU (one will fall off this Sept) and 0 for EQ. Credit cards: US Bank College Visa - $300 (oldest account at 3.33 years), US Bank Platinum Visa - $8,700, Victoria's Secret Angel Card - $4,350, Credit Union Visa - $1,000 (with a $500 reserve line of credit, not sure if/how this counts) totaling to $14,350-14,850 in credit.

Here is the thing, I app'd for CSP at the end of October last year and received a letter stating that I was denied because of low income (reported $21K from my campus job). I called recon and spoke with someone that needed me to answer some questions to verify my identity & asked if I had any other sources of income that I could possibly count. So, I figured I could try to include some of the money I receive from financial aid which would come to an additional $11K/year (consisting mostly of grants and a small loan). This would put me in the $32K range.  The representative came back after double checking with someone else and told me that it couldn't be counted as income, which kind of sucks because I've read other posts where people have had success in doing this and it's also counted as taxable income each year when I file.

I understand that my income is low, but my heart is set on this card!  Other things that might factor in: I don't really have a rent payment during the school year (covered by family, thankfully) and I live at home in the summer. When I app'd in October, my Platinum card was sitting at $4.2K and began reporting $8.7K in Dec, so I'm not sure if this would help me any a second time around.  Also, when I check the pre-qualified offers, all three of their flagship cards pop up for me. I also have about 7K in savings.

Sorry for such a long post (hopefully I covered all the essential info). What do you all suggest? I'm not sure if their is a minimum income needed for this card, what it might be, or if there is a way I can 'get around' this requirement. Thank you in advance for the input!

If Chase has you prequalified for the CSP, then you should apply, you'll probably be approved.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If Chase has you prequalified for the CSP, then you should apply, you'll probably be approved.

I had a pre-qualified offer the first time I app'd, hmm Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are the grants and the loan to be used for living expenses or for tuition?

Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a pre-qualified offer the first time I app'd, hmm Smiley Indifferent

It's not a guarantee. It's just that Chase's prequalifications are solid.

Last time you underreported your income; this time you probably won't do that. I'm not a tax adviser but I'm pretty sure anything you pay INCOME tax on is INCOME.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The 11K is what remains for living expenses, which is why it's considered a taxable source of income since it's not used on tuition or other qualifying education expenses. 

Message 6 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 11K is what remains for living expenses, which is why it's considered a taxable source of income since it's not used on tuition or other qualifying education expenses. 

If the IRS says it's income, why would you doubt that it's income?

Message 7 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

I agree, if you pay income taxes on it then count it as part of your income

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would include that in your income on the CC application.  I agree with SJ, if it's taxed, it's income at least for the purposes of a credit application.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If the IRS says it's income, why would you doubt that it's income?

I definitely don't doubt that it should be considered as income, this is just what the recon rep said after asking if I had any other sources of income. But I will definitely include it if I app again, I just feel hesitant after already being shot down once haha

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.