Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of Amex Charge

tag
havlow
Valued Member

Re: Chances of Amex Charge

If you don't have any late payments then I would say that you could definitely qualify for a Green Card with your scores and a year of history.  After a year you should be able to PC to Amex Gold if you want the benefits and don't mind the AF.

Starting Score: EX: 658 TU: 646 EQ: 651
Current Score: EX: 733 TU: 749 EQ: 743
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 27
rtw
Established Contributor

I applied for the Zync last month with an EX FICO score of 651. I got the instant approval with NPSL. I then went ahead and applied for the Gold and was approved, it was one Hard Pull. You may want to apply for the Zync first it is said to be an easier approval and if approved then apply for one of the other charge cards if you really want a green or gold. It should only cost you one HP.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO, unless your a jet setting machine, there are really only 2 cards to consider. Zync and PRG. Here is my reasoning, the Platinum is really only good for those who travel, and travel A LOT, other than just having it for the looks.

The Zync (@  AF 25) is great because it gives you a charge card with a TON of flexibility (in both spend limit and packs). The PRG is really only the next one to consider to get the multiplying bonuses on your purchases. 

The Green, as I said this is all IMO, is useless because it carried the higher AF (@ 95). Yes, it gets you out of MR express, but if your not spending a lot, then your MR points are going to be minimal anyway so the ability to transfer points to miles will be far and few in between for them to be worthwhile.

The Gold, even higher AF (@ 125) is only $50 less than the PRG, and the PRG has the ability to multiply points. So Gold is useless.

So, that is why I asked what card do you want and why? If you just want it for looks, by all means app for whatever card will fill that void. If you want it for points, think about how much you plan to spend on it. If you plan on spending a small amount, the Zync is the way to go with the low AF because it will take a long time to build the MR points up to be worth any sort of mileage with flying. If you plan on spending A LOT through it, go right for the PRG and gain the ability to multiply points to get your MR up faster.

Like I said, this is just my opinion, but this is how I see it.

Message 13 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO, unless your a jet setting machine, there are really only 2 cards to consider. Zync and PRG. Here is my reasoning, the Platinum is really only good for those who travel, and travel A LOT, other than just having it for the looks.

The Zync (@  AF 25) is great because it gives you a charge card with a TON of flexibility (in both spend limit and packs). The PRG is really only the next one to consider to get the multiplying bonuses on your purchases. 

The Green, as I said this is all IMO, is useless because it carried the higher AF (@ 95). Yes, it gets you out of MR express, but if your not spending a lot, then your MR points are going to be minimal anyway so the ability to transfer points to miles will be far and few in between for them to be worthwhile.

The Gold, even higher AF (@ 125) is only $50 less than the PRG, and the PRG has the ability to multiply points. So Gold is useless.

So, that is why I asked what card do you want and why? If you just want it for looks, by all means app for whatever card will fill that void. If you want it for points, think about how much you plan to spend on it. If you plan on spending a small amount, the Zync is the way to go with the low AF because it will take a long time to build the MR points up to be worth any sort of mileage with flying. If you plan on spending A LOT through it, go right for the PRG and gain the ability to multiply points to get your MR up faster.

Like I said, this is just my opinion, but this is how I see it.

Very good explanation!! I also recommend the Zync primarily for the low AF.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 27
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Prodr222 wrote:

Hey

Ive posted here before saying my history in general. I was just wondering my chances of getting a amex charge card.

Ive had a hh greg department card with  a $3000 limit which i previously had a 50% util on it but have recently paid off completely. tis a little over one year old.

I also have a secured Wells fargo card with a $600 limit at 5 months old.

I dont know my new scores yet after paying off the hh greg card but my previous scores are Ex Fako 723 and EQ 681. Dont know TU.

Just wondering if i should try or wait.

Thanks

Go for it!  The Zync was designed for you.  Smiley Happy  Limited but not bad credit.  I think you have a very good chance at approval as long as your utility is low and the scores you showed are FICO.  My humble advice.... app Zync, then if approved, app the Amex charge you want in January to maximize backdating.  On your January app, be sure to app the charge offer for the no AF for one year.  Good luck and let us know the results!  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 27
Prodr222

Hi guys thanks for all the advice i appreciate it. It really is great to see people help people they dont know. with that said i think im going to wait until december and apply for the gold PRG so that if i do get approved i have the backdating to 2012 but i have extended the most time for the year for my score to get even better. Given that i plan on speding about  $20,000 on the card a year. Mostly on gas and restaurants. Do you guys think this is a good choice?

Message 16 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Prodr222 wrote:

Hi guys thanks for all the advice i appreciate it. It really is great to see people help people they dont know. with that said i think im going to wait until december and apply for the gold PRG so that if i do get approved i have the backdating to 2012 but i have extended the most time for the year for my score to get even better. Given that i plan on speding about  $20,000 on the card a year. Mostly on gas and restaurants. Do you guys think this is a good choice?

Sounds legit to me; a few folks have reported though that you need to apply a few weeks before the end of the year or Amex might count you as a member date of 2013 instead.  Other than that it's a fine plan, and the one I'll be implementing in December albeit for a Zync.

        
Message 17 of 27
Prodr222

hey guys just so i should let you know i planned to pay off my util to 0 and then apply for amex cards. currently at 40% i said whatever let me take a stab at it. i wanted to let you guys know that even with that i was approved for the zync and gold delta card. i think amex is very income biased because thats the only way i see how i couldve gotten these cards.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great to hear! Welcome to the Amex family!

Message 19 of 27
Prodr222

thanks

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.