cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of being approved for a new credit card?

tag
Jumbobanana
Established Member

Chances of being approved for a new credit card?

I don't want to get into a sob story, or give too many details, but long story short is, I really need a new credit card for some unforseen expenses. I don't have as much disposable income as I once had after losing my good job in Febraury. However, the last few months I've been able to get by with menial jobs here and there. I am however starting a new, better paying job in about 3 1/2 weeks. But right now I have emergencies to take care of that I don't have the money for yet.

I have about $5,000 balance on a credit card that i've been making minimal payments on (more than the minimum required payment, but not enought to pay it off entirely)

I have a secured card from Capital One, that has a low balance on it--under 10%

Credit score is 675 down from 710 after I lost my job. 

I don't want to accrue more debt, however Im in a bind because I don't have the money to take care of the emergency needs I have now. 

I need a couple thousand dollars, which I intend to pay off, including my high balance card as soon as I'm stable in my new job.

Thanks for any advice!

10 REPLIES 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chances of being approved for a new credit card?

Maybe? Where are you getting your credit score from? And which card has the $5K balance. (I ask to make sure it is a true FICO score, and what flavor (EX, TU or EQ); and I wouldn't want to recommend your try for a card you already have.)

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

OP, sorry for the loss of your job, and also the challenges you are going through at the present time.

In addition to the above poster's comments, I would also add/ask something that sounds trivial, but would be somewhat important. If you were to app for any card right now, would you be able to put down anything meaningful for a source of income in the event that they would require any recent documented proof? I ask because you mentioned you've been doing "menial jobs" here and there as of late, and it's one of the several things you want to be able to account for in prep for the app.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

OP it sucks that you're going through this but I hope that things start to turn around for you soon.

As for as which card to app for, my thought is that you're going to be hard pressed getting a lender to give you a new card when you're currently unemployed.

Again, I hope things turn around for you quickly and that you're able to take care of your current emergency.
Message 4 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

In the end, you have to do what you have to do. If that means a new card, so be it. Fico scores dont put food on table.

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 11
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear of your difficulties at the present time.

I don't have any real suggestions for you presently but did want to at least try to offer you hope.

What I want to say to you is that I am living proof that it IS possible to get approved for a credit card while unemployed.

I am unable to say whether you will have the same luck as I did since my assets, current debt (under $50), and credit scores all seemed to work in my favor for once. Of further note, I listed a small verifiable income which was less than my previous employed part-time earnings. I did notice that one of my reports showed additional info about my home and property values from the County Tax Office that was requested by the CC lender. I have never seen this info appear on a report before this instance so they obviously thoroughly verified the info that they were given. Just don't fabricate any info and see how it plays out. Best of luck to you.

Message 6 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I don't have any specific card advice at this time but I would look into cards that have a 0% intro APR. It would be helpful for you to list the following:

1. credit profile
  2. currrent cards and balances (typically cannot BT diff card and same lender)
  3. current banking relationships 
  4. state you are located in (offers can be regional/geo-fenced)

Good luck!

Message 7 of 11
Jumbobanana
Established Member

I have a experian account and it gives m Fico score, which weirdly enough I just logged in and it says my score went up 9 points. The card with the 5k balance is a Discover It card. 

Message 8 of 11
Jumbobanana
Established Member

Thank you so much for your sympathy and words of encouragement. 

As far as the menial jobs I've been doing, I basically get contracted to do some cleaning jobs, painting jobs, etc. for my friend who works as a poroperty manager/real estate broker/landlord. I write an invoice, and he'll pay me in cash, or through cashapp, etc. But I don't know if I mentioned that its in addition to my part-time job, which alone at this rate leaves me making about 17K a year. The menial jobs are what's keeping me from being homeless and hungry. 

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 11
Jumbobanana
Established Member

Sorry! I didn't mention that I'm not unemployed, but I'm working 20 hours sometimes less a week. Which at this rate would leave me with around or under 17K a year in income. The menial jobs I've been working only prevent me from being unhoused and hungry. I have a older car that I'm financing, which has been having serious issues, and is one of the reasons I'll need some money soon--its even more expensive trying to get around without a reliable car, and there isn't good public transportation in my city. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.