cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances of getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve card?

Hello everyone,

Recent college grad here, and I really like the look for the CSR card/thinking of getting it in the near future. Below is my information and hope you guys can help me figure out if it's a smart decision to apply or not.

• Future Income: A little under $110k
  • AAoA: 2 years and 8 months
  • Scores: TU 745, Experian 747, CreditWise 744 (though i'm not sure how good this one is)
  • Accounts:
    • Citizens Bank: $10,400 (Authorized user with my parents for 5 yrs 1 mo.)
    • Capital One Journey: $2,000 (3 mo. old account)
  • Accounts Open: 2
  • No baddies, late payments etc.
  • Credit Ultilization: 1-5% (depending on when you look I guess)
  • Credit Inquiries: 2 total, 1 hard inquiry, the other I believe was a credit check for my future landlord

What do y'all think? Thanks! Smiley Happy

35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances of getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve card?

I foresee an approval with a starting line of credit of AT LEAST $120!!

Message 2 of 36
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

bottom line its not going to happen.  I suggest starting with cap1 and nfcu if you have a miltary in and build up some history.  the csr is a min $10K limit and the csp is $5K.  nobody likes to be the first and this especally holds true with chase.  that aside once you are in as long as you are clean with them you are in.  amazing customer service, product changes and credit line moves are seldom an issue.  scores alone mean very little.  scores, income and history is another story.  good luck

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my bad I hadn't noticed the Citizens account wasn't yours. Jesus wasn't guiding me well.
Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to MyFICO

Unfortunately I have to agree with @bourgogne.  The chances of you being approved for a CSR right now with your slim credit profile is very low.  Exactly as he said, you need to build up your history and limits.  First, check to see if you have any prequalified offers from Chase.  If you're fortunate enough to get one for say the Freedom, start there with Chase and wait about 6-12 months to try for the CSR.  If nothing shows there, the CapOne option is a good choice and you can check for Capital One Prequalified offers.  It's important to establish that credit history first before attempting for the CSR or any other similar card.  Good luck

Message 5 of 36
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to MyFICO

Unfortunately I have to agree with @bourgogne.  The chances of you being approved for a CSR right now with your slim credit profile is very low.  Exactly as he said, you need to build up your history and limits.  First, check to see if you have any prequalified offers from Chase.  If you're fortunate enough to get one for say the Freedom, start there with Chase and wait about 6-12 months to try for the CSR.  If nothing shows there, the CapOne option is a good choice and you can check for Capital One Prequalified offers.  It's important to establish that credit history first before attempting for the CSR or any other similar card.  Good luck

Unfortunately?  come on, I am not all that bad lol.  what is the first thing I do when I set down in sfo?  I hussle over to the buena vista for an IRISH coffee!  good catch on the  pre-qual on cap1

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like others have said above, you're most likely going to be denied.

Chase is ruthless when it comes to being someone's first. They like to see some history and given that the minimum for the CSR is 10K, you're going to need to prove to them you can handle a card with that much credit.

Start with the easier cards, Discover, Amex (get your own and milk the 3X CLI strategy), get 1-3 cards above 10K and then apply for the CSR.

Or if you're ballsy, go ahead and apply for the CSR and hope for the best.

Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to MyFICO

Unfortunately?  come on, I am not all that bad lol.  what is the first thing I do when I set down in sfo?  I hussle over to the buena vista for an IRISH coffee!  good catch on the  pre-qual on cap1

didn't mean unfortunately that I agreed with you but unfortunately for the OP Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I wouldn't get another Cap1, since you already have the Journey.  Wait until you get a pre-qual for Chase, or maybe pick up a Discover.  Have you ever had an installment loan on your credit?  If not, I'd look into an Alliant Share-Secured Loan.  In your initial post, you mentioned liking the look of the CSR.  Did you mean this literally?  Also, you call out your future income as $110k.  What do you mean by this?  Do you already have a job that pays this, but haven't started?

Message 9 of 36
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

On the brightside, your setting yourself up for a worthy goalSmiley Happy
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.