Did you mean: 

Change in Focus of this forum

tag
NICKI183
Established Contributor

Re: Change in Focus of this forum

MidnightVoice wrote:

MeganML84 wrote:

but this CC forum has helped ME tremendously in helping me figure out what card I can get with my score. I just applied for my second CC ever last night, and I was approved. If not for this forum, I probably would not have even applied. I don't have a problem with CC debt so I know this new card is going to be a positive TL for me...even if it is a sub-prime card.

Please don't get me wrong - this forum is a tremendous help to a lot of people (including me) and a superb source of advice (in another post I relate how Chase advised me to come here!).  And all the help comes from real people with real life expertise, which is why I have likened it to Alcoholics Anonymous.

I am just a minimalist and great believer in fiscal responsibility, and need to preach and be obnoxious at times  Smiley Very Happy

Midnight- I have only been on the forum for a short time and see many threads stating " What card do you have with the highiest CLI" Can I get approved for Discover", "What is the backdoor # for ****".  I should know I started some of them. 

My interpretation of the forum is an aide to keep those with high credit scores in line as to what they need to do to keep them and how to manage what they have.
For those of us with the 500+ scores that still have baddies, BK's, CO, and other items that are not so savory to prime creditors we require an "IN".  We may have so many credit cards with $300-$500 credit limits that put them together and we probably couldnt purchase a nice living room set. LOL

All seriousness, I have gotten over 8  new credit cards and have no regrets.  As my subprime cards age I will be able to close them.  By reading others suggestions and know how knowledge I was able to obtain my first $5k card post BK.

Now, once you obtain the cards its up to you if you want to get back into debt or utilize them to get a house, car, or investments for the future.  In this day and age your FICO score defines you- even to get employment.  One mistake made in the past has become costly. 

Your opinions are validated, but my I feel that the CLI's and questions regarding how to obtain new cards is extremely helpful.  Thank you

Starting Score: 555/567/570- Aug 2017 (TU)646 (EQ) 626, (EX) 635-Goa 750l: UPDATE 2021 (TU) 623, (EQ) 584, (EXP) 598 Current VISA-MC-Amex Credit Cards |NFCU-CashReward-$2k|USSA Visa- $500lAmex USAA-secured Merrick-$1,900ll Amex Delta Sky Miles- $1k
, |Nordstrom-$2100|Neiman Marcus-$700|Credit One Bank $850/$500 / Capital One Journey $700/ Capital One Quicksilver One $1650/Target $600/KohlsStore $300/Personal Loans $14k
Garden Until 2/2022 removing all 18 collection baddies and decrease UTILto less than 5%
Message 51 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a good thread! And it's nice to know I'm not the only one fighting temptation due in part to these boards. Smiley Very Happy Most of my app spree was done before I started posting here. Since being here I applied for two, a Discover and a Chase. Talked hubby into applying for the Home Depot. After I received the Direct Rewards (I'm not Discover material Smiley Sad)and DH got his home depot we called off the app. Even so, I feel at this point I have a good mix. Citi Plat and CashReturns (we did BT on these, and are scheduled to be paid off by summer)... JCPenneys, Direct Rewards, Chase and Cap1. At this point it's all a matter of letting my cards age. Next year when my score is up I do intend on getting an Amex and then loan for our house extension. I've given up on Discover. After they declined me I was talking to my mom about it and she went on a 15 minute rant about how much she hates Discover because they declined her 20+ years ago when she was new to the country and trying to build credit. She swayed me away from the dark side.XD
Message 52 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I absolutely love this thread.Smiley Happy

I lurked on these boards for quite a while before joining.  Joined because I am still spooked by ID theft back in 1999.  My extended seven year fraud alerts had expired and I wanted to learn more about credit in general.  Don't have a need to repair or rebuild, just to learn and share info.  Since our credit scores affect so much more than our mortgage rates and credit card rates (car insurance rates, homeowners insurance rates, employment, etc), I simply want to learn as much as I can.

Midnight Voice, thanks for this thread.
Message 53 of 55
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Another thing I have noticed is post number - posts in general credit used to be multiples higher than post in the CC forum (and I know we had a forum rearrangent, but it still hold).  Nowadays the CC forum is rapidly catching up  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 54 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined this forum a little less then a years ago.I always thought that DH had better credit them me until we went to buy a car.
He had no lates no derogs!!!!  BUT he had 4 CC(biggies,amex,discover etc) that were almost maxed out. I sat for 2 weeks & read these threads.....about 1 month later I went shopping for CC. I got him 4 new CC and doubled his CL to over $50,000....he was offered a new CC from juniper with fixed int rate.

These cards are only used once every 4-6 months & PIF

I waited till my scores were over 680 & applied & received a discover card.

We are paying down every card that we can and only use CC with bal $0  to keep active.

If everyone that gets new CC and doesn't use them  will do well in uping & keeping scores   BUT if they max them out as well their other CC  they will be right back where they were

If you read the threads and see what others are saying about some CCC & what they expect for scores.....make sure that you can qualify before applting.....you do not want more then you need & you don't want a bunch of ings sitting on your CR

Hey MV  my W/D is older then yours!!  and my poor car was 88 year  BUT it leaked more then it ran! I still have it. The only thing is I can run faster then it can.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-30-2008 05:51 PM
Message 55 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.