Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes coming to Citi Price Rewind benefit and they aren’t good ones

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changes coming to Citi Price Rewind benefit and they aren’t good ones

@AnonymousChase is managed very well, whereas Citi is a very poorly managed bank... If you're a customer you can just tell.

I've been a customer of both the exact same amount of time and I "can't tell" what you're talking about.  In fact, my experiences with Citi as a whole have been more favorable than my experiences with Chase thus far.  My point is that a blanket statement like this can't be made, as it comes down to personal experiences.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousWhen my cards are paid off I'm transferring my points and officially dropping them now. Forget getting the Prestige in June. 

What type of benefit (dollars) were you seeing from the price rewind feature?  I would imagine it was pretty high if you're "dropping them" because of this announcement.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@AnonymousWhen my cards are paid off I'm transferring my points and officially dropping them now. Forget getting the Prestige in June. 

What type of benefit (dollars) were you seeing from the price rewind feature?  I would imagine it was pretty high if you're "dropping them" because of this announcement.

It's the principal of it. What has Citi done lately? 

1. Nerfed Prestige. 

2. Raised minimum for Citi Gold. 

3. Cut back on price rewind benefits. 

.. and this is just within the last year or two. 

Message 13 of 23
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I have the opposite point of view.  This benefit should not be offered at all.  It only benefits those that will not do their homework.  Benefits like this one are the kind that lower benefits for the customers that do not abuse card features.  This is happening not because "Citi" is evil, this is because customers abuse every feature that can be abused.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

1. Nerfed Prestige. 

I guess if these things impact you it may bother you.  They don't impact me at all, so personally I don't care and have no problem continuing to use my Citi card.

Interesting perspective above, Kforce and one that I tend to agree with to some degree.

Message 15 of 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

That sounds like it could be adversely impactful to quite a few people here.  I personally have never used the price rewind feature, but I don't really use the card for items that I think would really work for it. 

Those that have used price rewind and benefitted from it in the past, does the $500 down to $200 bother you more, or the $1000 annual cap here?  I'd like to hear from those that have really made out well in the past from using price rewind.

I've made perhaps 100 claims since getting my first Citi card in 2016. This is an unpleasant nerf, and the caps may be an issue for me, but Citi will remain my choice for these purchases because:

1. It's usually fast and easy to start a search.

2. Citi does the work searching (and looks in some places I wouldn't, sometimes finding prices that are lower than what I see on those sites).

3. Great extended warranty.

4. I can alternate using Prestige and Costco to expand my effective annual cap (using Costco for times when the warranty matters).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

All I'm saying is don't expect Citi to do anything for you in the future when it comes to card stuff. They seem to be on a rampage lately to cut everything their customers enjoy. They'll end up being the next Wells Fargo if they keep heading in the direction they're going in.

Message 17 of 23
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

1. Nerfed Prestige. 

None of those affect the value I am getting from my Citi cards.

I mean, if you want to go back to mailing paper for price protection benefits, that's your prerogative.  I'd rather just keep enjoying what is still a very easy to use and lucrative feature.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

1. Nerfed Prestige. 

None of those affect the value I am getting from my Citi cards.

I mean, if you want to go back to mailing paper for price protection benefits, that's your prerogative.  I'd rather just keep enjoying what is still a very easy to use and lucrative feature.

I've had to do paper forms a few times because they item(s) I've wanted to do a price rewind with weren't listed... It wasn't that big of a deal to me. 

Message 19 of 23
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

All I'm saying is don't expect Citi to do anything for you in the future when it comes to card stuff. They seem to be on a rampage lately to cut everything their customers enjoy. They'll end up being the next Wells Fargo if they keep heading in the direction they're going in.

I'll drop them when they stop giving me 2% cash on non-category purchases.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.