Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Cap-1 QS Mastercard

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Changes to Cap-1 QS Mastercard

Got this email tonight on my QS card. I see no reason to even keep this MC anymore, though it is my oldest account 11+years and current lowest CL at 2450, 9.9% APR though as it was originally an Orchard Bank card. Going to be closing it out.

InkedCap-1 Changes_LI.jpg

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changes to Cap-1 QS Mastercard

This is similar to what Citi Double Cash did a few months back.

If these benefits are important to you, then yes, this sucks.

At least there are no foreign transfaction fees, if you care about those.

Me? All I want is cash back, so when Citibank took all benefits away on Double Cash, I really didn't care.

However, that is me, and you are you.

I would keep the card and SD it, if you must.

This "benefit-stripping" means to be getting more prevalent, especially on no annual fee cards.

Johnny 50

Message 2 of 10
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@gdale6, it seems this benefit stripping thing is only happening to the older QS cards; more recent QS MasterCards are either World, or World Elite and carry many of those same benefits as part of the MasterCard plan.  This has me wondering, what if you call CapOne and ask to have your QS card upgraded to a World or World Elite card?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@gdale6, it seems this benefit stripping thing is only happening to the older QS cards; more recent QS MasterCards are either World, or World Elite and carry many of those same benefits as part of the MasterCard plan.  This has me wondering, what if you call CapOne and ask to have your QS card upgraded to a World or World Elite card?

Grandfathered accounts can't be upgraded. 

Message 4 of 10
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

Ugh!

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

Yup, you are correct. They refused and I closed the account, no retention offers at all. Am free of Cap-1 less the Walmart card, if and when it loses 5% returned for online orders it too will be canceled.

Adding: The card had my own image on it but they canceled this benefit for all cards and that devalued the card for me even further.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

These letters have been going around for a bit now but I finally got mine today. 

Message 7 of 10
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I got the same email regarding my Union Plus MC.

So far, nothing regarding Savor.

Message 8 of 10
RickNATL
Established Contributor

I won't lose any sleep for a few reasons, 1) I have similar benefits on other cards, 2) they are not a go to card fir me...

Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

Is that really true?   The Mastercard Plan allows issuers to opt-in/out, so for example with Citi, WEMC Double Cash also lost benefits.   Of course, Cap One might do it differently.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.