Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Hilton Honors no AF and Surpass

tag
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Changes to Hilton Honors no AF and Surpass

Received in February statement:

Effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013, you will no longer earn additional points for eligible purchases at drugstores, wireless and home telephone services, cable and satellite TV and internet service providers.

Eligible purchases do NOT include (Capital letter in the notice)

fees or interest charges
balance transfers
cash advances
purchases of traveler's checks
purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or
purchases of any cash equivalences

Additional info from another website found this info:

Effective with the first billing period starting on or after May 1, the free card changes to:

■7 points per dollar at Hilton Worldwide properties

■5 points per dollar at U.S. restaurants

■5 points per dollar at U.S. gas stations

■5 points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets

■3 points per dollar for all other eligible purchases

So indeed drugstore and cable/telecom bonuses go away, restaurants go up, and the other everyday categories lose a point.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: Changes to Hilton Honors

@emptypockets wrote:

Received in February statement:

Effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013, you will no longer earn additional points for eligible purchases at drugstores, wireless and home telephone services, cable and satellite TV and internet service providers.

Eligible purchases do NOT include (Capital letter in the notice)

fees or interest charges
balance transfers
cash advances
purchases of traveler's checks
purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or
purchases of any cash equivalences

Additional info from another website found this info:

Effective with the first billing period starting on or after May 1, the free card changes to:

■7 points per dollar at Hilton Worldwide properties

■5 points per dollar at U.S. restaurants

■5 points per dollar at U.S. gas stations

■5 points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets

■3 points per dollar for all other eligible purchases

So indeed drugstore and cable/telecom bonuses go away, restaurants go up, and the other everyday categories lose a point.

I wonder if folks will use this card less.  I'm glad I didn't apply for it when I was looking for something to replace my cash+ bill pay.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 2 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

which card does this refer to? there are 4 different ones.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
which card does this refer to? there are 4 different ones.

No AF Amex HHonors card.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
YahComb
Established Contributor

lol i guess broad-ranging billpay is just too good of a category for any lender these days.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 5 of 8
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I was just approved for this card yesterday. I have some Hilton stays this year and my signup bonus was 50,000 bonus points for $750 spend. I'll take the one additional point for spend at Hilton properties. Other than that it's kind of meh. I guess the 5x for gas and dining out will be nice but I tend to use an Ink card for gas and a CSP for dining. I'll use this one for a month to hit my spend for bonus. 

Message 6 of 8
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

For Surpass, the changes are: 

Effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013, you will no longer earn additional points for eligible purchases at drugstores, wireless and home telephone services, cable and satellite TV and internet service providers. ...

12 points At Hilton Worldwide properties

6 points At restaurants (must be located in the US)

6 points At gas stations (must be located in the US)

(Superstores, Supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations.)

6 points At Supermarkets (must be located in the US)

(Superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets.)

3 points For all other eligible purchases

Eligible purchases do NOT include:

• fees or interest charges,

balance transfers,

cash advances,

purchases of traveler's checks,

purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or,

purchases of any cash equivalents.

Seems  like AMEX is trying to get people to go to the Surpass, rather than the no AF card. Seems they would try to do something to better compete with the Citi Reserve card. I know every time I turn around I get a email or snail mail invite to upgrade. Othe pre approval stays on my AMEX pg when I log into my acct. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 7 of 8
jna
New Contributor

Thank you for the info!I haven't noticed it on my current statement until you posted about the changesI have two Amex Hilton.the surpass and the no regular amex.Two citi hilton citi.The reserve and the no annual citi.I somehow like the surpass better when staying in hilton properties here in the states because it has 12 hilton points for hotel stay and 500 each bonus points for online booking but what i really like about the Hilton reserved is the no foreign transaction fee and the complimentary gold status for as long as you have the card.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.