Changes to PenFed Amex

tag
Jetboy
Regular Contributor

Re: Changes to PenFed Amex

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/pathfinder-rewards

Looks like they will be switching from Amex to Visa for the Pathfinder. The starting number 4 on the new card is Visa network and the spacing of the number is not Amex.

Also the name change. It use to be call The PenFed Pathfinder American Express Card. Now it is just PenFed Pathfinder Rewards Card.

Good observation. The image in the link also has the contactless logo on the card.

Message 11 of 83
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

The current card if used for the 100 annual travel credit costs the money each year since it is a no AF card I see that going bye-bye as that alone if used gets you $100 for a no AF card.. Keep the TSA/GE credit unknown.  Other changes to be seen, but don't see them charging an AF, but could be wrong as well.  Certainly appears they are going to the Visa network which will work better for out of country travel.  Be interesting to see if current card holders will be forced PC, etc.  PenFed doesn't do PC on request either

Message 12 of 83
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

The current card if used for the 100 annual travel credit costs the money each year since it is a no AF card I see that going bye-bye as that alone if used gets you $100 for a no AF card.. Keep the TSA/GE credit unknown.  Other changes to be seen, but don't see them charging an AF, but could be wrong as well.  Certainly appears they are going to the Visa network which will work better for out of country travel.  Be interesting to see if current card holders will be forced PC, etc.  PenFed doesn't do PC on request either

Good thoughts and they parralel mine.   The points value on this card are low (about $0.007ea) but the 100dollar travel credit and other perks make this a favorite card of mine.   

I have a fear perks of some type will go away, perhaps the travel credits. 

**bleep**, on the (seemingly) change to VISA, very sorry to see that, I much prefer the AMEX network.   

It'll be interesting to see what's coming, and if existing cardholders get grandfathered in to existing goodness.

Hoping the best, I really like this card.  

||
Message 13 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditUp26 wrote:

Noticed the Amex logo missing, am extremely nervous, the only reason I got this card was 1) the $100 travel credit and 2) It's an Amex 

What's the advantage for 2)?

I'm blacklisted with Amex, and this card comes in very handy for Amex event ticket presales. Otherwise, the branding doesn't mean much to me.

I did realize that my last travel redemption only yielded what equated to 2.6% cash back, so my new Citi Costco Visa beats that at 3%

However, my EZ-Pass replenishments don't code as travel on the Costco card and fall into the everything else 1% bucket, so those are back on the Pathfinder Amex where they code for 4x points (which even if I only end up with a redemption equivalent to 2.6% cash back is a win.) I generally spend a few hundred/month on tolls.

Message 14 of 83
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

What little info on the new card hints of the $100 incidental airline (travel) credit going away.  We'll have to wait and see to find our for sure.

I wanted to see if I had used any of my 2019 travel credit  and dont' believe doing so is possible on the website.   I'm pretty certain I haven't used any, so plan to swipe for incidental airline spend in the coming weeks.

**I assume existing card holders will be migrated the new card and not grandfathered in to the existing card.

||
Message 15 of 83
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like a good time to make sure I get my next round of $100...anyone remember what GCs trigger? If any still do?

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 16 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

"Exciting changes are coming..." Smiley LOL

This isn't surprising, though. I got the SUB, GE credit, and for 2 years, I've got the $100 credit by purchasing gift cards on MPX. 

Initially, I got the card because I thought it had a decent points system, but then I realized that the points weren't worth as much. That's definitely my fault for not researching more. Card went to SD and only use it for the credits, and may consider a BT if needed.

Did you buy travel gift cards or any store?

Message 17 of 83
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

So I was reading what they posted and there may be some hints there as to what's coming:

"Whether it’s a once in a lifetime getaway, or your daily commute, you deserve to earn more." -- Could indicate a travel and gas combo card, similar to Citi Premier

"Also earn reward points on everyday purchases not related to travel."  -- Hoping this is better than just a 1pt/dollar

However, no matter what they lauch, they really need to fix their point redemtions! Its gotten to like .00000045c/pt.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 18 of 83
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

For a no AF CC i expect the 100 travel credit to go away especially going to visa..  Biggest change I personally could guess.  Time will tell

Message 19 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is terrible. I got this card a few months ago. I had to spend more than the sign up requirement to even get a $250 gift card. I was able to redeem the $100 credit for taxes on award flights but if the credit is going than I feel like I should have gotten another card instead. 

Message 20 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.