Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from PIF Before Statement to After Statement Cut

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing from PIF Before Statement to After Statement Cut

My monthly spend has been something like: 1800 on my CSP, 50ish on AMEX, and 200ish on my Apple Card.

I recently upgraded AMEX to BCP from BCE so that one will be getting way more love (grocery spend and streaming services so will be roughly 1000 amex, 1000 chase, Apple card 50ish).

I PIF each card before the statement cut except for Chase. I have been doing this for about 3-4 years. 

I want to change to letting my balances report to my credit, and then PIF after the statement like normal people (?Smiley Very Happy). Do you guys think this action will result in a large credit score decrease and/or look bad to the banks? I'm worried about making any sudden movements with my credit because of the state of everything right now.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Changing from PIF Before Statement to After Statement Cut

I don't pay any of my CCs before statement cuts. Looking at the cards in my signature. Does it look like banks have an issue with it? lol

You'll be fine. IMHO your credit profile will actually be stronger allowing your usage to report. Proof is in the pudding..I have a lot of pudding. LMAO

Message 2 of 24
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you took a scoring hit I suspect it would mostly be due to having 50+ % of your cards reporting balances and would be small-to-moderate but if you continue to PIF the reported balances each month it shouldn't cause alarm. 

If it were me I wouldn't worry about it but if the just the thought of that happening stresses you then don't do it. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I always pay my balance in full after the statement cuts.  This is what the card issuers expect you to do.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I do see the advantage of PIF becore te cut date if someone is trying to maximize scores for an upcoming app, I never really understood it as the norm. All that does is tell potential Lenders that you don't use the cards you have. IMO

Message 5 of 24
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Unless you're doing AZEO, I would totally let the balance report before paying. (Unless your utilization is really high, of course!) 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I will take a modest approach and let 2 report a while. Then 3, and so on. I only have 4 cards at the moment. VS I really never use anyways (one of those regret cards LOL). I have it stuck in my head to only allow one to report under 9% from the rebuilding days. 

Message 7 of 24
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 

"..I don't pay any of my CCs before statement cuts. Looking at the cards in my signature. Does it look like banks have an issue with it? lol.."

LOL good stuff! Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Gmood1 

"..I don't pay any of my CCs before statement cuts. Looking at the cards in my signature. Does it look like banks have an issue with it? lol.."

LOL good stuff! Smiley LOL

Nope. But it looks like you have an issue filling out 4506-T's! I see a lot of $25,000.... $25,000.... $25,000... Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 24
ccquest
Established Contributor

I might try the same thing, normally I just pay each account as I go along but now I think having balances report could be helpful in the long term for showing more full payment histories and credit usage to credited that check.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.