Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing name and applying for Amex

tag
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

Changing name and applying for Amex

So on the 23rd of this month I'm getting my last name changed. I also plan on applying for an Amex Zync and Discover More on December 1. Should I just use my old name then change it later to my new one? I don't want to run the risk of my new name not matching anything on my credit report. Its my last name that I am changing.

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changing name and applying for Amex

@doublespaces wrote:

So on the 23rd of this month I'm getting my last name changed. I also plan on applying for an Amex Zync and Discover More on December 1. Should I just use my old name then change it later to my new one? I don't want to run the risk of my new name not matching anything on my credit report. Its my last name that I am changing.

Unless you're in a huge rush to apply for the card, it might be worth getting your name updated through your current creditors and having them report the new name to your credit reports first. Unless your current banks/CCCs are really fast and your statement dates fall between the 23rd and 1st, you probably won't see the change in time for that to help though.

I'm actually not sure about the legal issues (if any) of submitting the applications with your old name after your name is updated. Technically all the information you're asked to provide them has to be correct and up-to-date. I know that at least on my EX report, I have several different versions of my name (first + last, last + first, middle + last, first + middle + last, first + MI + last). Not exactly sure how some of the versions got on the report, but they're all 'accurate' enough so I really don't need to dispute the info.

Then again, even after you submit a name name it doesn't necessarily go through everywhere immediately, so you'd probably be fine. The only thing I'd worry is that if Amex wants to cause issues, they could argue that you submitted the application with false information. Once you asked them to update your name name, they'd probably ask you to send in proof of your legal name change - and the documentation would probably show that the date of the name change is earlier than your application date.

It might not make a difference, but that would be my main concern.

Message 2 of 18
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@doublespaces wrote:

Unless you're in a huge rush to apply for the card, it might be worth getting your name updated through your current creditors and having them report the new name to your credit reports first. Unless your current banks/CCCs are really fast and your statement dates fall between the 23rd and 1st, you probably won't see the change in time for that to help though.

I'm actually not sure about the legal issues (if any) of submitting the applications with your old name after your name is updated. Technically all the information you're asked to provide them has to be correct and up-to-date. I know that at least on my EX report, I have several different versions of my name (first + last, last + first, middle + last, first + middle + last, first + MI + last). Not exactly sure how some of the versions got on the report, but they're all 'accurate' enough so I really don't need to dispute the info.

Then again, even after you submit a name name it doesn't necessarily go through everywhere immediately, so you'd probably be fine. The only thing I'd worry is that if Amex wants to cause issues, they could argue that you submitted the application with false information. Once you asked them to update your name name, they'd probably ask you to send in proof of your legal name change - and the documentation would probably show that the date of the name change is earlier than your application date.

Thanks for the reply, good insight. Anyone else have an opinion or experience with this situation?

=============
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 3 of 18
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@doublespaces wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@doublespaces wrote:

Thanks for the reply, good insight. Anyone else have an opinion or experience with this situation?

Once you change your name with SS# it will not matter. Once you apply for something with new last name that matches your SS# it will be updated to your credit reports while your own name will also be present. You can apply with own name and or marriage name as they both would be attached to your SS#.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 18
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

Yes, but I'm a male and I'm not changing my name from marriage, I'm legally changing my name to my pre-adopted last name. Will the dual correlation still be made?  I'm curious if they will make a fuss if I apply with my old name and when I change to my new name they will be upset when they see my proof says my new name was put into effect before I applied as mentioned above.

=============
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 5 of 18
anybodii
New Contributor

I would say go for it, with your new last name. Maybe apply over the phone and ask them about it, or call first and then app online. At worst I would think they'd just want you to mail/fax documents proving the name change. You probably won't get approved instanty, but I wouldn't see it being a big deal.

Message 6 of 18
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@doublespaces wrote:

Yes, but I'm a male and I'm not changing my name from marriage, I'm legally changing my name to my pre-adopted last name. Will the dual correlation still be made?  I'm curious if they will make a fuss if I apply with my old name and when I change to my new name they will be upset when they see my proof says my new name was put into effect before I applied as mentioned above.

If you have legally changed your name and your name now matches your SS# (assumming you changed it on your SS card) then all else is the same. Your Credit Reports will update with new name detected and both names will be on the report.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 18
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

But like I said, my court date is on the 23rd of november and I'm applying Dec 1st.

=============
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 8 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

How does it work, what is the timeline?  After the court date, you get some order that you then are able to send in to SSA and other places, DMV, etc. to get new SS card and license?  In other words, the other changes don't happen automatically with the court order correct?

I'd just call Amex and ask them.  Tell them you recently changed your name but haven't sent in paperwork to SSA yet, and your CR still has your old last name; which name should you use on application. 

If you use whatever name is on your credit report at time of application, I highly doubt this will matter. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@doublespaces wrote:

I would just app for it and if there is a decline call the backdoor number and explain the situation.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.