Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Status after payment

tag
Eddie24CO
Valued Member

Charge Off Status after payment

Hello Everyone,

I had a capital one credit card that went into Charge Off (CO) in November 2008. On December 28, 2009 i settled this card with the collection agency.

My question is why is this card still reporting as CO on my credit report?? It is interesting to note that Jan - May it is marked paid, not late and then goes back to "CO"

To sum it  up: 
 I opened the card 5/2007, it had a $1250 limit, it went into 30 days late on 6/2008, and charge off 11/2008, the was rated paid from 12/2008 to 5/2010 and now it states "CO" everymonth thereafter

Any idea of how i can dispute this or do anything about this? I have a feeling this is one of the factors that is keeping down my credit score. 

I also have another Capital One card with the exact same situation on my credit file.

I understand the charge off status will always remain, but it does say settled, however it keeps raiting me "CO"

Any ideas? 

Current FICO Scores as of June 2022:
Experian: 720
Equifax: 721
TransUnion: 719
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chan85
Established Contributor

Re: Charge Off Status after payment

It will stay say charge off, but show as paid. From what I understand it will not really benefit the score. It would have been better to pay for deletion in this case if you could have.
Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 2 of 7
KeepSwimming
Regular Contributor

The CO will DEFINITELY affect your score. I had one from about three years ago, but after explaining the situation with the OC, they removed it.

However, paying it will not remove it. It will update the status to "paid," but that doesn't change the fact it reached a CO status, from what I understand. Since you've paid it, sounds like you need to start GWing them. Did it show up under both the OC and the CA, or just the CA?

Starting Score: TU: 550 EQ: 556 (pulled 6/2010)
Current Score: (pulled 4/18/11) TU: 668(pulled 4/18/2011) EQ: 741
Goal Score: Above 700 on both

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KeepSwimming wrote:

The CO will DEFINITELY affect your score.

+1 I just had a bogus CO removed from my credit reports last week or the week before......

My EQ was 700, after the CO was removed it went to 774 FICO

My TU was 727, after the CO was removed it went to 784 FICO

So yeah CO's really kill credit scores Smiley Sad

Like KeepSwimming said start sending GW letters to Cap1

Keep us updated,

Best of Luck!!

Message 4 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

@chan85 wrote:
It will stay say charge off, but show as paid. From what I understand it will not really benefit the score. It would have been better to pay for deletion in this case if you could have.

A paid off COdoesn't really help the score, but it does stop a possible lawsuit from the CA or creditor.  With that said, having a paid CO is better than having an unpaid CO. At somepoint, the OP may be able to get it deleted before time. 

Message 5 of 7
Eddie24CO
Valued Member

I understand what everyone has said, but that still doesn't explain how the card was reporting as good as the CO for almost a year until i paid it off and now is rating me as charge off. I am not talking about the status, i am talking about those little marks that say positive, or green within the 81 month history.

The status does say: Charge Off Paid/Settled for legally for amount less than balance

Other credit cards that i have paid off that are in "charge off" on my credit report say "charge off" in the status but in the 81 mth history are reporting green or positive.

I will try a GW letter, doesn't hurt i guess.

Current FICO Scores as of June 2022:
Experian: 720
Equifax: 721
TransUnion: 719
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont you have to be 120 days or so late before a charge off occurs?  It doesn't typically happen when you're thirty days or less late or sixty even, so those are the dings you'll be receiving (30 days late, 60 days late, etc.), for seven years right?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.