Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge-off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge-off

I have a USAA credit card that has been on my credit since 2006 and is listed as "charge off" .  Can I have this removed once at the 7 year mark?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Charge-off

Hi, and welcome to the forums !

This account should fall off of your credit reports no later than 7.5 years from the DOFD of the account.   If you look on your Equifax report it will show the DOFD;  Experian and Transunion will not display DOFD but instead show an estimated date of removal for the account.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

if the collection agency keeps trying to collect on it, it will keep resetting the 7.5 year mark i think

amazon
Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@tsquad131 wrote:

if the collection agency keeps trying to collect on it, it will keep resetting the 7.5 year mark i think

Not true.   The DOFD cannot be reset, regardless of whether the account is paid or unpaid, or in collections.   Both the CA and OC records would report based on the DOFD of the orignal account.    

If a CA reports the account with a more recent date then they are in violation of the FCRA.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.