Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off account... continue billing

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Charged off account... continue billing

1. I thought, correct me I'm wrong... I thought once a bank charges a debt off the balance is then frozen unless they sell it to someone else and they start billing charges?

2.  The nice lady I just spoke to... NOT, refused to send me fax or e-mail showing the settlement offer in writing and what they would update my reports to until I agreed to paid and I told her I would not agree to anything until I had it in writing and she said no and hung up on me.  Dont they have to provide these things in writing?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Charged off account... continue billing

1.  In theory yes.   But also in theory, as long as the debt exists, they can be charging interest on the balance.   I believe the law says if you request, they must provided a detailed list of all charges going back to the beginning of the problem.   So if you request a detailed summary of everything from 01/01/2007, they are required to provide it for you.

2.  No, they don't have to provide it in writing.   Any company that makes a verbal offer and refuses to put the words to paper -- I'd be wary of them.   There is no reason for you to commit to a settlement if you don't have anything in writing.

Play dumb and say you sometimes are misunderstand things.   And to prevent any misunderstandings, it's important that you see what she is saying.   Then ask her how you can reach her after you have visually seen the agreement.   Sometimes works.

If it were me, I'd not go any further until there is something in writing!   Hang in there.

Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes first lady refused to give much of anything...

Next person said they could not send me detail of interest and fees but she told me like totals since charge off... I was going to fight it but then got my 50% offer on the original debt... not what had accumilated in fees and interest. I'm just going to be so glad when it shows $0 balance on credit reports.

Message 3 of 5
john398
Senior Contributor

Ok but if your not getting it deleted paying this may lower your score tempoary I would think if they report when its paid but I coulld be wrong, I just always heard paying a charge off account when it still satayes on lowers your score

Message 4 of 5
slg
New Contributor

Did you try for a pfd?
BCE 12800, bofa travel rewards 8k, Barclays apple 6200, Macy's 2000, Macy's Amex 3200, merrick bank 300 , Victoria secret 1350, jcrew 1350
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.