cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges after Due Date??

Bogey1975
New Contributor

Charges after Due Date??

My Citi card due date was yesterday, the balance was 1000, I paid that off. I then Charged 200 a day after the due date. Will my credit report show a 0 balance or will it show the 200 even though its on the new statment?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Charges after Due Date??

Depends on whether or not the charge had posted by the closing date.  

(4/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 815 (TU) 822 (EQ) 808
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 832

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 7
Bogey1975
New Contributor

Closing date is this Friday, so I guess I need to pay that 200 off now.

Message 3 of 7
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@Bogey1975 wrote:

Closing date is this Friday, so I guess I need to pay that 200 off now.

Why will you "need" to pay it off now?  As long as you pay the card in full before the next due date, there will be no interest on the charges.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

Message 4 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yep.  Odds are excellent that the charge will have posted by Friday. 

(4/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 815 (TU) 822 (EQ) 808
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 832

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you pay the statement balance in full, new charges made won't be "due" until the next due date, so you don't have to pay the $200 charge off until your next due date, unless you want a $0 balance to report.

The balance will report if the charge posts before the statement closes.

Are you doing AZEO?  I try to avoid using the cards I want to report zero on between the time I pay them and the statement close, so I don't get surprises like this.

Message 6 of 7
FishingGuy
Regular Contributor

You can pay by or before the due date,  but the statement "cuts" a few days later...... if you make charge between the due date, but prior to the bill cutting / if those charges post, and they normally do...... you will not show a zero balance.  I typically watch not only the due date,  but the bill cutting date and alternate my cards so as not to use a card in between those two dates, so it reports a zero balance, or  lower balance.

I do this with all of my cards.... giving me more "float"   and having them report lower balances.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.