Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargesmart.com

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Chargesmart.com

@jenn_bar wrote:

My point of this is to avoid service fees. (I don't know if this is possible, but I hope so!)

Me too!

I don't like service fees and make every effort to avoid them whenever possible.  For rent, it's much harder, unless you're willing to use Bluebird and go through some inconvenience.

Is there a Walmart in close proximity to you?

Message 11 of 54
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@jenn_bar wrote:

My point of this is to avoid service fees. (I don't know if this is possible, but I hope so!)

Me too!

I don't like service fees and make every effort to avoid them whenever possible.  For rent, it's much harder, unless you're willing to use Bluebird and go through some inconvenience.

yes!!!

Message 12 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@jenn_bar wrote:

Me too!

yes!!!

In that case, you can use Bluebird to pay your rent free and whatever bills free of charge.  You'd have to physically to to a Walmart to load your account, but if it's convenient, it should be an issue.

There are countless creative and legal ways to load a Bluebird with a CC at a physical Walmart.  This is what I would do for my bills if a Walmart were close to me.  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@jenn_bar wrote:

Me too!

yes!!!

Not quite sure what Open123 has mind as usually there will still be small fees, but there are some exceptions.

Basically, you need to by Visa/MC Gift Cards (usually there is a fee of $4.95 for $500, but through Chase for example you can sometimes get them with no fee.)

Then you can load them onto your Bluebird at no charge at Walmart (you can do it on line, but there is a very small limit and a $2 fee).  Then bluebird can be used to pay your rent.

Message 14 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not quite sure what Open123 has mind as usually there will still be small fees, but there are some exceptions.

Basically, you need to by Visa/MC Gift Cards (usually there is a fee of $4.95 for $500, but through Chase for example you can sometimes get them with no fee.)

Then you can load them onto your Bluebird at no charge at Walmart (you can do it on line, but there is a very small limit and a $2 fee).  Then bluebird can be used to pay your rent.

Yeah, prepaid debits with a pin#; or, even...er...VRs.  Buy them at supermarkets with your BCP for the 6%.

Don't want to advocate this or anything, but is the 5X Citi drugstore card still around?

Message 15 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

Open123, the 5X offer is still around. It is for the thank you card, instead of the thank you preferred, and the application has to be done in a branch. Longtimelurker posted a thread about this before
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 54
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Ah my rent is 1340 so those fees would basically add up to the $20 that they want to charge me period! Guess I'm out of luck. I'll have to check out chase but I hope that means I could use my cc to purchase and not debit.

I can't use any kind of plastic for rent unless I want to incur the fee. So it would have to be a physical check or money order.
Message 17 of 54
Open123
Super Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:
Ah my rent is 1340 so those fees would basically add up to the $20 that they want to charge me period! Guess I'm out of luck. I'll have to check out chase but I hope that means I could use my cc to purchase and not debit.

Not if you could buy $500 GCs at 5% return.

Message 18 of 54
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@jenn_bar wrote:

Not if you could buy $500 GCs at 5% return.

Very true, but I need to get it as a check....

Can you get a money order with a gift card since it's considered cash?

Message 19 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:

I can't use any kind of plastic for rent unless I want to incur the fee. So it would have to be a physical check or money order.

Chase had/has an offer where you can buy the cards at cost, charged as purchase, not cash advance.  As open123 suggests, with the right cards the fee doesn't matter, if you buy a $500 card at a supermarket with a BCP, you pay $4.95 but get $30 back. 

Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.