Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging Business Expenses on Personal Card

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Charging Business Expenses on Personal Card

When I got my most recent Amex CC in the mail (the Blue Cash Everyday card), I was reading the cardmember agreement which stated that the CC should be used for personal expenses only.  After I looked through some of Amex's business CCs, it seems that the personal CCs (especially the Blue Cash Everyday) have much better rewards with less or no AFs.  My question is, has anyone ever experienced AA from Amex or any other CCC for that matter when you started charging business expenses on a personal CC?  Is this a big no-no as far as using a personal CC goes with the CCCs?

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: Charging Business Expenses on Personal Card

I don't know if there is any AA from the CCC's, how would they know what's business or personal?  From a business standpoint, you should NEVER NEVER EVER mix business and personal cards.  There's nothing that will bring you crashing down faster if your business gets into trouble, and your using your personal cards to finance it.  It can and most often does cause serious accounting problems, especially when you get audited. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 2 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I've always assumed that this was there so that they could object to giving out rewards points if they thought you were abusing the system somehow.  For example, if I started charging not only my flights but also everyone else's flights in my office to my personal card.  Whether they would actually care or not if I did so, I don't know, but I've just assumed they wanted to leave themselves an option.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 3 of 5
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I've always assumed that this was there so that they could object to giving out rewards points if they thought you were abusing the system somehow.  For example, if I started charging not only my flights but also everyone else's flights in my office to my personal card.  Whether they would actually care or not if I did so, I don't know, but I've just assumed they wanted to leave themselves an option.

You're probably right about that one Walt.  The reason I asked the question is I often charge postage and such to my personal CC for some of my employer's expenses (which I get reimbursed for by check), so I guess my real question is will I eventually run into a problem with my rewards points if I start charging more of my employer's expenses such as commercial utility bills and such?  Seems to me like a company like Amex might be able to detect this activity pretty quickly and take AA.  Any thoughts?

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Message 4 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I'm just throwing guesses out there, but I think the behavior would have to be pretty outrageous for them to care.  We have a corporate Amex (but I choose not to use it).  With the corporate Amex, you can add MR if you are willing to pay the annual fee.  If they're willing to let you earn MR points for a corporate account so long as you pay the AF, I don't see why they would care about you putting the expenses on your personal card. 

I put all of my business travel on my personal Amex.  If they ever raise an issue with it, I guess I'll sign up for the corp. card and add an MR account.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.