cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging too much to a brand new Amazon Store Card?

tag
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Re: Charging too much to a brand new Amazon Store Card?

They will off cycle report to CR's any large purchases or high utilization right away.  Just a FYI

Message 21 of 28
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@LittleSal wrote:

They will off cycle report to CR's any large purchases or high utilization right away.  Just a FYI

Yup. They'll do that alright... Recently, I'd waited for my statement to close on Amazon card, and a few days later, I charged about $9k on it. I was planning to pay it off before the next cycle, but nope, jerks decided to report again my high balance. 90% didn't look too pretty but it helped that I have plenty of credit elsewhere to soften the blow. Just lost a few points.

Message 22 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

You are conflating two different usage patterns Saeren.

Big purchase + installments isn't the same as big purchase on a credit card, and *gasp* using it like a credit card: namely short term float.

Just my opinion but this is a bunch of FUD about nothing.  Sync has millions of customers, of course some few (who are the ones that are going to post) have issues like this.

Seriously as Pinkandgrey correctly stated lenders want you to spend big and if you pay big it is zero issue.  That is what the OP is talking about and as Reme rightly called: the sky is not falling.

        
Message 23 of 28
PerArduaAdAstra
Valued Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies, everyone!

So a couple things - I don't have the strongest profile. No negs but certainly not strong. Just like with my Navy Fed approval, I am floored by the amount they gave me. AAoA is barely like 7 months. I'm right out of a rebuild and am just barely getting approved for $1k cards. Only other card over $1k is Navy Fed. 45 days ago my highest limit card was $300. I was supposed to garden my profile for awhie, but Sync gave me a PayPal Credit CLi so I figured I'd roll the dice on one more card. Glad I did!

Also because I am so paranoid of spooking lenders, I have been making SURE nothing reports high util while I'm getting these new cards. If they will immediately report the purchase that would make me really uncomfortable.

So it seems like calling in to report a large purchase might be knda overkill/abnormal, but not maxing it out may actually be advisable in my situation? Thanks!

Message 24 of 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I don't understand what the big deal is. Credit is for when you need something you can't outright afford. You're expected to carry a balance. They issued a limit based on what they're comfortable lending. If they didn't want you to borrow that much, they wouldn't have gave that limit.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling in May be overkill from an AA issue but not necessary  from a potential fraud issue as o mentioned. 

But if AA is more of your concern then yeah definitely leave it alone. 

Message 26 of 28
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Another vote for: should be fine, but I'd call or chat with them to let them know.

Carrying a large balance will temporarily hurt your credit score, but only while the balance reports high. There is no longterm effect.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 27 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

You are conflating two different usage patterns Saeren.

Big purchase + installments isn't the same as big purchase on a credit card, and *gasp* using it like a credit card: namely short term float.

Just my opinion but this is a bunch of FUD about nothing.  Sync has millions of customers, of course some few (who are the ones that are going to post) have issues like this.

Seriously as Pinkandgrey correctly stated lenders want you to spend big and if you pay big it is zero issue.  That is what the OP is talking about and as Reme rightly called: the sky is not falling.

Pretty much this @PerArduaAdAstra.

While I understand it's a natural reaction to do things right, and you may feel some sort of hesitation or paranoia, rest assured things will be fine.   I've had SYNCB CCs for over 10+ years and the sky did not fall 😁

One thing to note, any score fluctuations are expected, but keep in mind that utilization has no memory.  As long as you're being responsible with your accounts, you'll be fine. 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.