Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 App or not?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase 5/24 App or not?

You are definetly over 5/24, Slate does count ( all Chase cards core and cobranded now fall under 5/24) and becareful using AU accounts with such high utilization. That utilization heavily affects your score too.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would remove yourself as AU on card with 89 percent utilization. Then pay down your own cards. Once you do that you should be able to get any card you want.
Message 12 of 18
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
You are definetly over 5/24, Slate does count ( all Chase cards core and cobranded now fall under 5/24) and becareful using AU accounts with such high utilization. That utilization heavily affects your score too.

This ☝🏽

But not just this. AU accounts are a double-edged sword in Chase's eyes. Having one doesn't necessarily favor you with Chase, however, having one with a high utilization could very well hurt you. Either get it under 30% or remove yourself from it entirely. 

Message 13 of 18
nastalgia
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
I would remove yourself as AU on card with 89 percent utilization. Then pay down your own cards. Once you do that you should be able to get any card you want.

I've contempleted removing myself from AU account with the 89% but was more worried its age and excellent payment history disappering from my credit history. Also will it drop my credit score if I remove it from all my credit files?

Message 14 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

IMHO, and I hope you accept this in the sincerest manner I'm offering it, you should take a breather. Please do not apply for any more cards anytime soon. You have a thin profile, lots of inquiries and recent accounts, cards with low-limits, and cards that are secured. I'm sorry but your credit profile is just not there yet for any of Chase's cards. 

Patience and time are on your side if you let them be your guide. We see people rushing their credit profile all the time and it's the worse thing one can do. Creating a great credit profile is a process of baby steps, not one giant leap.

MyFICO has a wonderful garden where you can go to let your cards age and grow. You will be amazed at the progress a credit profile makes when it is not rushed.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 18
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@nastalgia wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've contempleted removing myself from AU account with the 89% but was more worried its age and excellent payment history disappering from my credit history. Also will it drop my credit score if I remove it from all my credit files?

The short answer is, absolutely it will. But, having AU accounts without a built profile is like living in a great looking house made of straw- that belongs to someone else. It feels much better, even seeing your score drop, knowing you're building your own home of brick and mortar. Like anything else, a strong foundation is where it starts. 

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, as to your question of the downside to removing yourself from the AU card with 89% UTI, I think it’s doing more harm than good. Age factors are a lower weight than utilization in the credit score pie, so the fact that the card is maxed out hurts more than its age and history help. Get off that account and your remaining accounts look much better, with only that 52% Disco needing attention - pay that down and you’ll be sitting nicely. Then, as suggested above, garden awhile to let your accounts age, and if you don’t app for 6 months, you’ll have one inquiry completely gone and none that are scorable. THAT is when you look to apply for Chase, as long as 5/24 only covers revolvers. If it covers loans too, then you’ll have to wait longer.
Message 17 of 18
nastalgia
Valued Member

I appreciate everyones valuable input, gardening is the decision and I've been at it for a while and will continue to garden till my cards graduate and my cards age. I've already paid down my cards since my original post. That 89% BofA card belongs to my gf and I've been nagging to pay it down, she uses it for her business but its not a business card. I will get myself off it soon.. Thanks again

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.