Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase AA

tag
Bmn5940
Contributor

Chase AA

Hello everyone,

It's my favorite time of the year.... STUDENT LOANS jk kill me. Anyway my fall bill and financial aid package was released today and I want to apply for my loan before the beginning of August (my school takes 30+ days to "receive" my loans and tries to charge me a late fee). I have recently opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred and Amex platinum(soft pull) in the same day and also applied and was denied for a Citi Card so in total 2 new inquiries last month and 2 new accounts. Amex has not hit report yet but chase has. I don't want to spook chase because they approved me for a 12.5k CSP and increased my FU from 500-2000 two days after my approval. I've read horror stories about chase closing all accounts due to too many new accounts and inquires. Long story short, will I be okay to add a discover hard pull to my credit report and add a student loan. I have a checking and Freedom unlimited with chase as well. Just don't want to spook them

Very Happily in the garden
Goal Cards:
None for Now
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase AA

You'll be fine w/ Disco and SL's. 

The main issue with Chase is picking up multiple Chase products and then stacking several approvals on top of that.  Chase will be SPing your reports for the first week or so and again on a monthly basis looking for accounts.  As long as you don't go overboard you'll be fine and Amex won't even report for 2 months or more.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let’s all try to stay on topic to the op’s question. 

I agree with @Anonymous , you’ll be fine based on the info you provided us. 

Message 3 of 15
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Bmn5940 wrote:
Hello everyone,

It's my favorite time of the year.... STUDENT LOANS jk kill me. Anyway my fall bill and financial aid package was released today and I want to apply for my loan before the beginning of August (my school takes 30+ days to "receive" my loans and tries to charge me a late fee). I have recently opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred and Amex platinum(soft pull) in the same day and also applied and was denied for a Citi Card so in total 2 new inquiries last month and 2 new accounts. Amex has not hit report yet but chase has. I don't want to spook chase because they approved me for a 12.5k CSP and increased my FU from 500-2000 two days after my approval. I've read horror stories about chase closing all accounts due to too many new accounts and inquires. Long story short, will I be okay to add a discover hard pull to my credit report and add a student loan. I have a checking and Freedom unlimited with chase as well. Just don't want to spook them

Lay off of the revolvers and the student loans won't hurt. Living the high life on credit while a student will. Paying for your education will not.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 4 of 15
Bmn5940
Contributor

Oh yeah absolutely I agree I don't live off credit as it is. My total for the year after financial aid will be about $10,000 which is exactly what I'm applying for. My utilization never goes over 10% always pay in full except for sometimes I leave small balances on a card or two month to month (pack of gum, pair of shoes) so my accounts show a little activity. But anyway just wanted to gather some opinions of a discover student loan hard pull and new account will spook chase Smiley Sad

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 5 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

You added Platinum ( $550 ) and CSP ( $95 ) so AF are now significant.  What is your SUB spend requirement for the next three months?

I am confused, are you applying for a Discover student loan, or a Discover card and separately a student loan?  

The Discover card should wait. One of the attractions for that card is double cash back, but you will be allocating a fair amount of a relatively small spend to other cards. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 15
Bmn5940
Contributor

Sorry should have been more clear I am applying for ONLY a discover student loan no new credit cards. I am worried chase won't like the new inquiry and account showing up

Goal Cards:
None for Now
Message 7 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you're only talking about student loan application, you should be fine. 

Message 8 of 15
panda11
Regular Contributor

@ bmn5940

would you mind sharing your income to qualify for the C$P card as a college student?

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As always YMMV, but I opened 5 new accounts around the same time as the CSP. 2 of them were Amex so they reported much later than the others. I never received any AA from Chase, however. Not that I would advocate poking any bears, but in your instance you should be okay. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.