Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase AARP Visa Question

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Chase AARP Visa Question

Chase AARP Visa earns Unlimited 3 percent Cash Back rewards on restaurant and gas station purchases and 1 percent Cash Back rewards on all other purchases.

Question:  Can cash-back be converted into Ultimate Rewards points on the Chase Sapphire Reserve (50% bonus), thereby earning unlimited 4.5% back on gasoline when redeemed for travel? 

This would be almost as good as the other unlimited or generous +/- 5% gas options, like:

Fort Knox FCU Platinum Visa

(Unlimited 5% on gas)

First Bankcard/FNBO NRA or Ducks Unlimited 

(Unlimited 5% on gas)

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa

(Unlimited 5 points per dollar; 5 points to equal 4.25% back on gas)

Synchrony-Sams Club Mastercard

(5% on up to $6K per year PLUS -up to- additional 2% as Select Plus member)

*Sam's Club membership required. Additional Fee for 2% Select Plus membership.

CITI-Costco Visa

(4% on up to $7K per year PLUS flat 2% bonus for Executive members)

*Costco membership required. Additional Fee for Executive membership.

Bank of America Cash Rewards with Platinum Honors Preferred Rewards status 

(3% x 1.75% bonus = 5.25% on up to $10K per year @ $2500 limit per quarter)

*Platinum Honors status requires $100K in banking and investment accounts*

Bank of America Cash Rewards with Platinum Preferred Rewards status 

(3% x 1.5% bonus = 4.50% on up to $10K per year @ $2500 limit per quarter )

*Platinum status requires $50K in banking and investment accounts

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase AARP Visa Question

Sorry but no. The AARP earns its own points, which are not Ultimate Rewards and can't be combined with any Ultimate Reward program points.

Message 2 of 7
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Chase AARP Visa earns Unlimited 3 percent Cash Back rewards on restaurant and gas station purchases and 1 percent Cash Back rewards on all other purchases.

Question:  Can cash-back be converted into Ultimate Rewards points on the Chase Sapphire Reserve (50% bonus), thereby earning unlimited 4.5% back on gasoline when redeemed for travel? 

This would be almost as good as the other unlimited or generous +/- 5% gas options, like:

Fort Knox FCU Platinum Visa

(Unlimited 5% on gas)

First Bankcard/FNBO NRA or Ducks Unlimited 

(Unlimited 5% on gas)

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa

(Unlimited 5 points per dollar; 5 points to equal 4.25% back on gas)

Synchrony-Sams Club Mastercard

(5% on up to $6K per year PLUS -up to- additional 2% as Select Plus member)

*Sam's Club membership required. Additional Fee for 2% Select Plus membership.

CITI-Costco Visa

(4% on up to $7K per year PLUS flat 2% bonus for Executive members)

*Costco membership required. Additional Fee for Executive membership.

*Platinum Honors status requires $100K in banking and investment accounts*

*Platinum status requires $50K in banking and investment accounts

Not the best in math but where are you getting 5.25% from 3 + 1.75? am I missing something or is your math off?

Message 3 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Not the best in math but where are you getting 5.25% from 3 + 1.75? am I missing something or is your math off?

It's "x" not "+".

OP is correct about the 5.25% and 4.5%. 3% cash back with a 150% or 175% status multiplier.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 7
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

That is not a (+); it is a (x).  Multiply, not add.

Bank of America gives bonuses on their credit card cash back if you have large investment or banking accounts with them.

It starts at $20K (25% bonus); goes up to 50% bonus at $50K and 75% bonus at $100K. 

So for any of their credit card programs, you can multiply whatever the published reward rate x 1.25, 1.50 or 1.75 to get the new rate.

3% is maximum basic reward on the Cash Back card and would go up to 3.75, 4.50 or 5.25% respectively.

You would also get 2.5, 3.0, or 3.5% on the "2%" categories like groceries and whole sale clubs or Premium Rewards card Travel/Dining.

If you had the Travel Rewards or Premium rewards cards that get 1.5% back on everything, you'd also earn 1.875, 2.25 or 2.625% instead of 1.5% on everything you buy.

Business Cards

Message 5 of 7
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

That is not a (+); it is a (x).  Multiply, not add.

Bank of America gives bonuses on their credit card cash back if you have large investment or banking accounts with them.

It starts at $20K (25% bonus); goes up to 50% bonus at $50K and 75% bonus at $100K. 

So for any of their credit card programs, you can multiply whatever the published reward rate x 1.25, 1.50 or 1.75 to get the new rate.

3% is maximum basic reward on the Cash Back card and would go up to 3.75, 4.50 or 5.25% respectively.

You would also get 2.5, 3.0, or 3.5% on the "2%" categories like groceries and whole sale clubs or Premium Rewards card Travel/Dining.

If you had the Travel Rewards or Premium rewards cards that get 1.5% back on everything, you'd also earn 1.875, 2.25 or 2.625% instead of 1.5% on everything you buy.

Thanks, even I did not think I made that much on these cards....LOL I told you I suck in math!!!!!

Message 6 of 7
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Thanks, even I did not think I made that much on these cards....LOL I told you I suck in math!!!!!

Important point here.  If you do have the account balances and you do have the Bank of America cards, you must still ENROLL and be accepted into the Preferred Rewards program to get those rates.  It is not automatic.  So you may qualify but miss out on the rewards if you don't enroll! 

Business Cards

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.