Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Amazon Visa

@arkane wrote:

I'm probably reading too much into it but I think J's point was the 5% cash back becomes meaningless without price protection, since Amazon prices can and sometimes do experience large fluctuations. It's a fair point I think.There are some workarounds, some elegant, others not so much. Me personally I use the Amazon card to buy Amazon gift cards and lock in the 5%, then use Camelizer to get an idea of the fairness of the current price, and decide whether to pull the trigger or not from there. If it's a big ticket item I almost always wait for the price to come within a certain range of the historical low before buying. Anyway I digress.

As to APR I agree it's of no practical consequence whatsoever if you PIF (Discover's 23.99% APR and toy limit and kiss my buttcheeks), but psychologically it's very irritating, although nowhere near as bad as being given an insulting limit.

Not meaningless when you buy when the price is right. And being gift cards is a great way to lock that 5% in. And Amazon provides its own warranties etc. as I’ve said it’s not for everyone, you don’t shop at Amazon, the card is pretty ordinary. One added bonus is if you get it before your credit is good enough for a 2% card, the Gas, restaurants, and prescription at 2% is great to use until you qualify for a 2% card. A feature lost on us that have the credit for the everyday card.

And yes low limit can be a hassle for those that spend more per month. I’ve found that the Amazon card gives good limits if you are in that 650 ish and up with credit. But even a $500 limit is decent for those that shop on Amazon a lot. Workable with.

Message 11 of 65
arkane
Established Contributor

At least they partnered with Chase. Could be worse, imagine if it was the Barclays Amazon card instead, it'd be way more contentious and the debates would be a lot more heated lol Smiley Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 12 of 65
jacetx
Valued Contributor

I understand the lack of price protection, but Amazon has great purchase protection (I only use my card for Amazon purchases). If I ever receive a defective product Amazon has never given me any trouble when I request a refund or replacement. As far as the APR goes this argument has been discussed hundreds of times. This is a cashback account and you SHOULD not carry a balance, so APR is meaningless unless you plan to not pay in full.

Message 13 of 65
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I get that APR SHOULD be meaningless IF you pif but if it were truely meaningless , why not just give everyonea standard apr right off like 30% lol and say this is a pif card. I understand views on the apr and apr of this card but im also of mind its ok to be disappointed in the apr given

Not much to do with a credit card other than use it so some times being vain is a good thng. Itll make you aware of things like an apr and perhaps itll make you strive for lower apr across the board. Just my opinion Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 65
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Even the lowest possible APR on the Amazon Visa (~15% IIRC) isn't worth using to borrow money. I fully understand being disappointed or insulted by an APR, but no matter what this card just isn't suited for the task of financing. Use it for the rewards and PIF. Plenty of low APR cards out there for when you do want to actually borrow money.

I've been insulted in the past with high APRs but you just have to remind yourself that it truthfully doesn't matter because if you're paying interest you are losing out on any benefit of the rewards anyway.

Lack of purchase or price protection is a factor, but it truly depends what you're buying. For big ticket items it makes sense to worry about it, but for everyday type of things, not sure how important it is.

Message 15 of 65
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Even the lowest possible APR on the Amazon Visa (~15% IIRC) isn't worth using to borrow money. I fully understand being disappointed or insulted by an APR, but no matter what this card just isn't suited for the task of financing. Use it for the rewards and PIF. Plenty of low APR cards out there for when you do want to actually borrow money.

I've been insulted in the past with high APRs but you just have to remind yourself that it truthfully doesn't matter because if you're paying interest you are losing out on any benefit of the rewards anyway.

Lack of purchase or price protection is a factor, but it truly depends what you're buying. For big ticket items it makes sense to worry about it, but for everyday type of things, not sure how important it is.

Mine is 15.49%, I don't know if it's the lowest though.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 65
arkane
Established Contributor

Mine is 15.24%, so I'm guessing around 15% is where it bottoms out.

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I get that APR SHOULD be meaningless IF you pif but if it were truely meaningless , why not just give everyonea standard apr right off like 30% lol and say this is a pif card. I understand views on the apr and apr of this card but im also of mind its ok to be disappointed in the apr given

Not much to do with a credit card other than use it so some times being vain is a good thng. Itll make you aware of things like an apr and perhaps itll make you strive for lower apr across the board. Just my opinion Smiley Wink

Being vain means you care, and when you care about stuff like APR and limits, I'd like to think you're at least more inclined to use credit more responsibly. Smiley Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 17 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being vain means you care, and when you care about stuff like APR and limits, I'd like to think you're at least more inclined to use credit more responsibly. Smiley Happy

Caring about APR on a rewards card actually more means you don’t understand how a Rewards card is supposed to work. It’s 100% of the time meant to PIF. It’s irelevant. Low interest cards and balance transfer cards are meant to carry a balance. Look how many people have huge balances on rewards cards. It’s crazy bad.

Message 18 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane wrote:

At least they partnered with Chase. Could be worse, imagine if it was the Barclays Amazon card instead, it'd be way more contentious and the debates would be a lot more heated lol Smiley Happy

That is true. Barclays has a bad reputation in here. I don’t have any of their cards. So I don’t know. But it sure seems to be a real thing lol.

Message 19 of 65
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Caring about APR on a rewards card actually more means you don’t understand how a Rewards card is supposed to work. It’s 100% of the time meant to PIF. It’s irelevant. Low interest cards and balance transfer cards are meant to carry a balance. Look how many people have huge balances on rewards cards. It’s crazy bad.

FWIW I care about the insulting 23.99% APR and the low limit Discover gave me on their card because I'm vain and it's got nothing to do with carrying a balance. If anything I always PIF before statement cut so the card always shows a 0 balance since I'm sticking to AZEO for a while (and also because I'd like to curry favor with Barclays and get  CLI on my Uber visa which is my daily driver now).

Given the people who frequent these forums are a lot more credit conscious than the average Joe, I don't think it's too far-fetched to think a majority of them cares about APR because it's a matter of pride.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.