cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon-Walmart Discover R they Store cards?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Chase Amazon-Walmart Discover R they Store cards?

In terms of mixture of credit for FICO purposes, are the Chase Amazaon and Walmart Discover cards considered store cards? Or are they treated like normally issued bank credit cards?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Amazon-Walmart Discover R they Store cards?

FICO cannot tell the difference between credit card and store card.

Message 2 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

FICO cannot tell the difference between credit card and store card.

Are you sure about that? I thought that FICO looked at types of credit (10% of the score) and that considered whether the accounts were installment, mortgage, revolving or store credit.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Duncanrr wrote:

In terms of mixture of credit for FICO purposes, are the Chase Amazaon and Walmart Discover cards considered store cards? Or are they treated like normally issued bank credit cards?

My Amazon Chase card shows up as just Chase bank, revolving credit card account.... it shows up as a major CC, not a retail card.

Chase.JPG

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Are you sure about that? I thought that FICO looked at types of credit (10% of the score) and that considered whether the accounts were installment, mortgage, revolving or store credit.

FICO can tell a difference between installment (personal/auto) loan, mortgage, credit card, and consumer finance account (furniture), but not store card. Having a store card does not mean you have mix account.

Message 5 of 14
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

interesting, so why do ppl say have a couple of store cards  for fico purposes...

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 6 of 14
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

interesting, so why do ppl say have a couple of store cards  for fico purposes...

Not having a full understanding? They generally provide easier approvals and higher CL, so I'd consider that good for FICO.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 14
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

I have mine because they were easy approvals and they offer no AF so I can use them once a year, request for SP CLI, and not worry about paying for something I dont' use.  They will age nicely and add to my UTIL and AAoA. Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 8 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I know that my Walmart Discover reports as "Walmart Dual Card" same for mu BR Visa. "Banana Republic Dual Card"....

Bankcards are harder to get than store cards, but as the ops say...fico can't really tell the diff.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 14
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I know that my Walmart Discover reports as "Walmart Dual Card" same for mu BR Visa. "Banana Republic Dual Card"....

Bankcards are harder to get than store cards, but as the ops say...fico can't really tell the diff.

My Walmart Discover reports the same but my other GE accounts report as the store they are with b/c they aren't dual cards. I don't believe FICO can tell the different between store card and regular credit card. I think it monitors whether its a revolving or charge account.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.