Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon offering $90 SUB for Prime Members

tag
SBR249
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Amazon offering $90 SUB for Prime Members

I would say that since you have to be a prime member to even apply for the card (AFAIK), the price of the prime membership already paid is considered a sunk cost. As such, it should not factor into the decision as to whether one should get the card or not. It would however be considered for future renewal in which case, aside from the benefits of 2-day shipping/video/music/photo storage, etc., if you spend at least $200 on amazon that qualifies for 5% cashback, you'll have broken even on the future cost of renewal with a $90 SUB. 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And Amazon Prime is more than 90 dollars so you would lose money with this offer. 

The majority of people that apply for this card already have Prime, so they're already used to paying the Prime annual membership fee.  The $90 bonus has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of a Prime membership. 

An annual spend of $2000 on Amazon using the Prime card covers the cost of the Prime membership.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

One could say that the Prime card only really gets an extra 2% back (Difference from Chase Amazon and Chase Amazon Prime, SUB's aside) and therefore the break even point is $5000/yr. If you spend anywhere near that per year at Amazon I'm pretty sure you already have Prime for non-cc reasons.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And Amazon Prime is more than 90 dollars so you would lose money with this offer. 

The majority of people that apply for this card already have Prime, so they're already used to paying the Prime annual membership fee.  The $90 bonus has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of a Prime membership. 

An annual spend of $2000 on Amazon using the Prime card covers the cost of the Prime membership.

Well I thought about getting 5 percent back store card but then realized you had to be prime member to get discount.  So I think the huge annual fee for prime membership should be considered. I would say 95 percent of the time I can find goods cheaper than 5 percent less than Amazon cost with free shipping.  The only thing that seems cheaper on Amazon is goods from foreign sellers.  As the store card gets 5 percent back for prime members if you have that card it makes little sense to get the Chase card for a measly 90 dollars.   Chase card would make sense if you don't have prime as they give you 3 percent back on Amazon and the store card would give you nothing.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I thought about getting 5 percent back store card but then realized you had to be prime member to get discount.  So I think the huge annual fee for prime membership should be considered. I would say 95 percent of the time I can find goods cheaper than 5 percent less than Amazon cost with free shipping.  The only thing that seems cheaper on Amazon is goods from foreign sellers.  As the store card gets 5 percent back for prime members if you have that card it makes little sense to get the Chase card for a measly 90 dollars.   Chase card would make sense if you don't have prime as they give you 3 percent back on Amazon and the store card would give you nothing.

I think a lot of the "is it cheaper at Amazon or not" discussions depend on what you're buying. Groceries, for example, are rarely cheapest at Amazon. Books and CD's -- of which I buy many -- are usually cheaper from Amazon, even disregarding the foreign sellers.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.