cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase And Walmart Cards...What are your Thoughts??

tag
ChaseDreams

Chase And Walmart Cards...What are your Thoughts??

Hi all I am new here first time posting but I have been watching and reading for the past few months an d am deciding what to do next

I would like to know if I should app for British Airways Visa  or the The Hyatt Credit Card from chase. And for sure I am thinking of the Walmart Card to take advantage of their current 18 months No interest what are your thoughts??

Here is my current credit profile

First things I am 21 First I have a WF College Cash back card 1,000, my graduation card from my secured card of 300, Recieved an Auto increse this month to 1,500. I also have a Citi Dividend card  with a 2,200 CL and recently pushed the luv button and received an auto increase of 500 I also Have a Care credit card with an 4,000 CL after I requested a CLI and a HP they doubled it to 8,000 Also in my wallet is a Macy’s Card previous limit of 300 after a CLI request they bumped it to 1,000.

After my success with the Credit Line Increases I decided to app for two cards the first one Was for a chase freedom I figured I would be a shoe in since I work for them and have an auto loan with them LOL and I received an instant approval 3,000 and then immediately after I apped for Amex Delta And was sent for review but checked the app status review 5 minutes later after visiting this site for questions and was approved, after a call to amex looks like I was approved for 2,500.

**According to CreditKarma my current Utl is 40%** before my recent CLI’s

My oldest account was opened 27 Months ago with my youngest being 8 months ago** although I guess that has changed with my recent card approvals

*Scores provided by Citi Identity:

EX: 713

EQ: 687

TU: 694

I have about  5 Inquiries EX,TU in the past year and half - EQ 6  Inquires 

So back to my initial Question for the card apps, I want One of chase’s No foreign transaction fee/Smart Cards like the Hyatt or Chase British Airways card as I will be doing some traveling abroad next year and would like to have a cards I know will work everywhere but both of those are visa Signature cards so I think I might run into a problem there.

Any ideas?

Cards: Amex Delta 7.2K| NFCU Platinum 12K |Chase Sapphire Preffered 10K | Chase Freedom 3K| Walmart Discover 5K|Citi Dividend $2,700 | WF College CB 1,500| Care Credit $8,000 | Macy's $1K

Current Score: EQ:705(Citi Identity FAKO) EX:746 (Amex app 10/12) TU:742 (Walmart)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: Chase And Walmart Cards...What are your Thoughts??

I'd say you are a shoe-in for Walmart.

For the Chase travel cards, your scores are not quite in "virtually guaranteed win" territory, but they are strong enough that I would apply for the one you want more and recon it if initially denied.

Do you have any income, or are you a full-time student?

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 2 of 9
ChaseDreams

Thank you for your response, I actually work Full Time at JPMorgan and am currently a part time student my income is 40K, I am betting my utl and Inq will be an issue I am working out the utl issues now. But i may app for the Hyatt i have read its a little easier than the British airways but its even a Visa Signature so either way it will be long shot.

Cards: Amex Delta 7.2K| NFCU Platinum 12K |Chase Sapphire Preffered 10K | Chase Freedom 3K| Walmart Discover 5K|Citi Dividend $2,700 | WF College CB 1,500| Care Credit $8,000 | Macy's $1K

Current Score: EQ:705(Citi Identity FAKO) EX:746 (Amex app 10/12) TU:742 (Walmart)
Message 3 of 9
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

I was approved for the Chase Southwest Visa in early April of this year with a starting limit of $3000 (no increase yet) which was more than 3x the size of my largest CL at that time.

My TU was 659 and my EQ would have been around the 650 range.  I had an AAoA of about 5 years, 3 opened CCs that were 2.5-4 years old all with limits under $1000, at least 4 negs (COs and collections) and one open loan. Aside from the COs/collections - all of my other accounts were in perfect standing and my util was probably around 33%.  I probably had 0 inquiries showing at this point as well since it was towards the beginning of my app spree.

I'm not sure how different their standards are for the British Airways or Hyatt cards though.

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 4 of 9
ChaseDreams

It gives me more hope but I am still wondering what additional underwriting requirements they put on their Visa Signature cards, I Don’t really want to waste another HP.

Message 5 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Walmart...   most assuredly..   Chase,  maybe,  if you can spare a HP just pull the trigger if you need the card.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 9
ChaseDreams

@Shogun wrote:

Walmart...   most assuredly..   Chase,  maybe,  if you can spare a HP just pull the trigger if you need the card.

UPDATE.... well I pulled the trigger on The Hyat and Walmart and the consensus was correct Instan Approval for the Walmart Discover with a 2200 CL and for the Hyatt I Recieved the dreaded  "Thank you for applying. Your application requires further review before making a decision." What should I do is this pretty much a decline or because I opened a fredom in the last 30 day ?? should I try to Recon this?

Message 7 of 9
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Definitely not a decline...yet. The standard language for declines is typically some variation on "unable to approve you at this time".

Call in to recon ASAP.  They may just need to verify some information or ask a few questions about your credit history.  Do have your credit reports in front of you when you call and be prepared.

If they do say they're denying you, ask if they could approve you if you move some or all of your credit line on the Freedom over to the Hyatt.  Sometimes it's just a matter of the creditor not wanting to go over a total amount of credit they are extending you on all cards.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 8 of 9
ChaseDreams

@TheConductor wrote:

Definitely not a decline...yet. The standard language for declines is typically some variation on "unable to approve you at this time".

Call in to recon ASAP.  They may just need to verify some information or ask a few questions about your credit history.  Do have your credit reports in front of you when you call and be prepared.

If they do say they're denying you, ask if they could approve you if you move some or all of your credit line on the Freedom over to the Hyatt.  Sometimes it's just a matter of the creditor not wanting to go over a total amount of credit they are extending you on all cards.

Well I called to recon and after she manully review she still came back with a decline due to me not having enough Expirence with CL with 5K and when i mentioned mt CL of 8K with GE Care Credit She said They are not taking them into consideration.....she didnt give a reason why....I also aske if some of the CL from the freedom could be moved almost in excess of 90% it looks like what was extended to me on the freedom is all they are willing to extend to me at this time....It will be too late for my abroad travels but maybe I can try again in 6 - 8 months.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.