Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase App Limit or # of Account Limit?

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Chase App Limit or # of Account Limit?

Does Chase have any rules anyone know of about number of apps in a certain time period, or number of accounts you are allowed to have with them? I now have two. Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase App Limit or # of Account Limit?

I think Chase prefers only two apps per 30 or 90 days but honestly, I'm not sure they care that much. Some people say they will auto-cancel one app if you do two back to back apps but they didn't for me.

I don't think Chase has a card limit either but they have a credit limit they are going to stop you at. But this has also been proven false with co-branded cards. I read a story about a guy that had Chase tell him multiple times they can't extend more credit. He applied for a co-branded card and got like an 8K limit auto approved. I believe this was even after closing a co-branded card to move the CL over. So really the account limit is when they stop approving you due to enough credit and you have no CLs you can/want to shift around.

The short answer is yes to both. The real answer is more complicated because their co-branded cards seem to be counted differently from their own cards.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 2 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Depending on how long ago you last got a Chase card, they will decline another application. Some analysts say Chase will not approve more than two cards in six months, but some have success with doing three at once.

Message 3 of 13
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I don't think they really have a limit on cards, but rather a limit of how much total credit they will extend to a particular person. Some people may reach their limit sooner than others, and start getting the 7-10 day message, and then have to call to "reallocate" limits (move avail credit from a existing card) in order to get them to approve the new card.

I am not sure about apps in a certain period, but have seen people on the board get approved for 2 accounts in the same day/week. When I got my first with them, I apped and rec'd a second card within a week or so of the first approval. I know that most of their apps ask if you have been denied for a Chase card within the last 60 days.

I currently have 4 Chase cards, and will probably get a 4th (Southwest) sometime in the future. Apparently, judging by my last approval (Marriott 15.1k), I have yet to reach their limit of credit they will extend to me.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

I am not sure about apps in a certain period, but have seen people on the board get approved for 2 accounts in the same day/week.

I got my UMPE and CSP within a day of each other.

Message 5 of 13
rkinnahan
New Contributor

I applied for a Freedom and CSP on the same day and was insta-approved for both, a rare feat it seems nowadays.  I then applied for a UMPE a couple weeks later and was also approved for that.  I've seen others signatures that show 5 or 6 Chase cards so I tend to agree with the masses and think that Chase has a cap on total CL available to a customer, and not based on the number of cards. I started my Chase relationship in February of this year and have 37k in available credit across 4 cards.  My income is 95k.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 6 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

Like others said, chase doesn't seem to care how many cards you have but rather their total exposure to you in dollar amount. I have seen people get 3-4 cards within a 6 month timeframe without any issues. Don't try to go on a spree with them though. No lender likes that's.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have seen 3 instant approvals and a 4th on recon in same day in same browser.

2 seems to be easiest and then 3rd on recon.

1 personal and 1 biz seems pretty common too

have not seen anything about max number of cards with chase especially with co-branded and i think depending on analyst you will get different answer of what your exposure limit with chase is and again as other stated some recent posts of people being told limit met limit met but then computer obviously felt differently on a new app because it was instant!

so pick what you want and decide in what order of importance and then GO!

but CSP seems to be last applied for when I see people talk of multiple apps

same goes for personal first, then business if you want 1 or two cards from each of those sides.

Message 8 of 13
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

I got all thre of mine at the same time and I only had a 700 Fico score. The limits sucked though so be weary of that.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 9 of 13
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I got all thre of mine at the same time and I only had a 700 Fico score. The limits sucked though so be weary of that.

Out of curiousity, what were the limits?  Were they the same on all three?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.